Ben Wilson at Coventry (Former SAFC lad)

Ceverton

Winger
I played cricket against him a few years ago when he was released by SAFC, think that summer he went to Accrington on a free. He has been at a few clubs and is now at Coventry.

I heard on radio he made his debut a few month back in a 1-1 draw with Norwich, he gave away a pen. However since then I always keep an eye out to see Coventry and how he gets on, I am fairly sure that in his 18 appearances he has had at least 7/8 clean sheets. Although I have not got exact stats, he has conceded only about 15 goals in 18 games. Coventry have conceded 29 goals in their other 13 games. Have Coventry changed shape, gelled or genuinely just improved overall, or has the former Sunderland lad done really well to organise as well as stop shots?

Last edited:

Id hazard a guess hed be a better bet than butterfingers. What the feck hsppened on Saturday with yet another mishandle.
Be a miracle if we get up with the 2 keepers used.

Bizarre looking career according to Wikipedia. 48 appearances from 2011 to 2020 - 20 of which were in the Conference North/South, 8 in L2, 17 in L1. Then suddenly thanks to injury he becomes Coventry’s number 1 and seems to be doing ok.

I eagerly await the “we should never have let him go” posts.

The Sunderland lad is doing great for us, took over when Marko Marosi was seriously injured and has well and truly taken his chance and established himself as first choice keeper.
What has happened since he has came in? Results and goals conceded have improved, is it down to the lad or other things at play?

What has happened since he has came in? Results and goals conceded have improved, is it down to the lad or other things at play?
We’ve been quite lucky because both goalkeepers have performed well, and you get plenty of opportunity to do so behind our defence. The goals against have certainly reduced since Wilson came in but Marosi wasn’t making too many glaring errors. In all honest there isn’t much between them so I think the improvement is down to the way Robins is setting up, he’s always tried to play out from the back which is commendable but has cost us due to individual errors, we seem to be getting the ball forward earlier now and then trying to play.

I used to play against him when I was younger for school teams and he's a Stanley lad born and bred so I always look out for him. I did have doubts whether he would make it professionally when he kept flitting between clubs and not getting many appearances, but he's really stuck at it and is now reaping the rewards. Fingers crossed he stays between the sticks for the rest of the season for them and it leads to bigger and better things for him, hopefully away from Coventry so I can go back to wanting them to lose again XD

The issue wasn’t his on field performances, it was his off field conduct. But heard a few people say that he’s a good lad now and works hard
Can never understand why some players who have all the ability in the world just seem to press the self destruct button and throw it all away. We had a player about 10 years ago called Kevin Thornton, I think his brother played for Sunderland. He had the potential to be anything he wanted but wasted the opportunity and faded into obscurity.
I haven’t heard about Wilson’s misdemeanours but hopefully they’re all in the past.

Can never understand why some players who have all the ability in the world just seem to press the self destruct button and throw it all away. We had a player about 10 years ago called Kevin Thornton, I think his brother played for Sunderland. He had the potential to be anything he wanted but wasted the opportunity and faded into obscurity.
I haven’t heard about Wilson’s misdemeanours but hopefully they’re all in the past.

Sean was likely worse, absolute waste of a career, promising lad.

Sean Thornton played for us if that was his brother.

He pressed the self-destruct button big style. Massive talent, no brains.

I played cricket against him a few years ago when he was released by SAFC, think that summer he went to Accrington on a free. He has been at a few clubs and is now at Coventry.

I heard on radio he made his debut a few month back in a 1-1 draw with Norwich, he gave away a pen. However since then I always keep an eye out to see Coventry and how he gets on, I am fairly sure that in his 18 appearances he has had at least 7/8 clean sheets. Although I have not got exact stats, he has conceded only about 15 goals in 18 games. Coventry have conceded 29 goals in their other 13 games. Have Coventry changed shape, gelled or genuinely just improved overall, or has the former Sunderland lad done really well to organise as well as stop shots?
One of their other options was calamity camp, so they're lucky that they gave this lad a chance really...

Was he the fast bowler? If it’s the lad I’m thinking he terrorised us in a second team game. Playing well below his standard that day.

Back