Ben White

What does the forces have to do with it?
It was an example of people who are away for a long time, months on end. If he has had homesickness 3-4 weeks away from home isnt the worst thing in the world especially with the facilities theyve got. If its effecting him that much good luck to him but his International career is over unless he overcomes it because thats part and parcel of an international footballer.

What does the forces have to do with it?

Nothing.

Bringing the forces up seems to be a trump card to some to show you have your priorities all wrong and all those employed by the forces are beacons of civilisation that should have your unquestionable gratitude.

When the truth is that there are just as many wankers in the army as any other public profession.

Last edited:
It was an example of people who are away for a long time, months on end. If he has had homesickness 3-4 weeks away from home isnt the worst thing in the world especially with the facilities theyve got. If its effecting him that much good luck to him but his International career is over unless he overcomes it because thats part and parcel of an international footballer.

What do the facilities on hand have to do with anything?

“You get ice with the water you’re drinking. How dare your mental state be suffering when the hotel down the road doesn’t serve ice with their water? Come to think of it, I think the glasses are smaller.

Now shut up and get on with it.”

Last edited:
They signed up and knew what they were getting into.

No doubt you'll say white chose to go to. So both should just get on with it by your logic.

They signed up and knew what they were getting into.

No doubt you'll say white chose to go to. So both should just get on with it by your logic.
I dont think it is homesickness but if it is Its 3-4 weeks mate, its not months away from home.he can always go home just like anyone else can, homesickness is not a mental ilness by the way, seems everything’s getting classed as a mental illness nowadays, in doing so the real help needed for the people who really need it is not always available and that ends in heartache, I no this first hand because i lost my best mate to it and at the time there wasnt any help for him. Going into hospital one day shipped out the next, Its just my personal opinion, which im entitled to have. I wish the lad well I really do.

“You get ice with the water you’re drinking. How dare your mental state be suffering when the hotel down the road doesn’t serve ice with their water? Come to think of it, I think the glasses are smaller.

[/QUOTE

Of course facilities have an impact . If you have mental illness , sitting in a tent in Mogadishu will impact on them far more than living in 5 star luxury. That’s not to say the rich can’t suffer , but your surroundings have a large impact .

Hell be better looked after than the majority of players, at that world cup, 5 star luxury, with therapists etc all there for the players to use. Facilities have a massive part to play init for the players, do you think theyll be better off mentally in a 2 star shithole in Qatar with no aircon in sweltering heat? I think everyone would have homesickness if they were.

I think Trescothick was more concerned with his lass being very very friendly with The Royal Marines, allegedly
[/QUOTE]

Why would you even consider staying in a relationship where you don't trust them?

If they are cheaters, they will never change,

Get rid, life's too short.

The SMB's great mind. One random poster just completely made up out of nowhere that he was homesick and now we've got 11 pages of absolute 'look at how tough I am and how soft he is' shite.
Unfortunately that’s what happens if you don’t give any explanations.

I think Trescothick was more concerned with his lass being very very friendly with The Royal Marines, allegedly

[/QUOTE]
I don’t think you can even compare cricketers to footballers. An international cricketer could be away for multiple months at a time , every season , not a month away once every two years at the most .

Last edited:
Has homesickness been confirmed anywhere or is this 11 page thread based on a post by the boards resident conspiracy theorist with a penchant for unverifiable “facts”?

Nothing.

Bringing the forces up seems to be a trump card to some to show you have your priorities all wrong and all those employed by the forces are beacons of civilisation that should have your unquestionable gratitude.

When the truth is that there are just as many wankers in the army as any other public profession.

I seem to have got some panning over my comment regarding forces and homesickness. To add some context:

Homesickness is a Mental Health issue and should be addressed. I spent 20+ years in the RAF and spent a lot of it overseas away from my family. Most of that was ok, because it was spent with people I worked with day in day out, but there was one occasion where I was sent to the Falkland Islands for 4 months on my own, without my colleagues and mates, leaving my wife to cope with a 16 month old daughter and a son who turned 3 whilst I was away. The welfare package at that time was crap. So crap that my wife decided it would be easier for her to move 600 miles to stay with her parents whilst I was away. I was allowed 20 minutes of free phone calls a week - everything else after that was at £2 a minute - this was before mobiles, skype, facetime etc. I was not paid well at the time, and had a house to fund that was lying empty for almost 5 months, so I went the whole 4 months only speaking to my wife for 20 minutes a week and everything else was by dial-up internet emails or handwritten letters.

Did it affect my mental health? f***ing right it did. I came back a different person with a different outlook on life. My daughter didnt recognise me and called me "man" for weeks. That hurt.

Fast forward to 2022 and I see a millionaire footballer who may or may not be homesick, and I think - He could facetime every day. He could buy up the entire wing of a six star hotel and fly those he misses out, and even if they only get to meet for a coffee every other day, it would be worth it, and he wouldnt bat an eyelid at the cost of doing that. There are choices the super rich can make to combat homesickness.

I seem to have got some panning over my comment regarding forces and homesickness. To add some context:

Homesickness is a Mental Health issue and should be addressed. I spent 20+ years in the RAF and spent a lot of it overseas away from my family. Most of that was ok, because it was spent with people I worked with day in day out, but there was one occasion where I was sent to the Falkland Islands for 4 months on my own, without my colleagues and mates, leaving my wife to cope with a 16 month old daughter and a son who turned 3 whilst I was away. The welfare package at that time was crap. So crap that my wife decided it would be easier for her to move 600 miles to stay with her parents whilst I was away. I was allowed 20 minutes of free phone calls a week - everything else after that was at £2 a minute - this was before mobiles, skype, facetime etc. I was not paid well at the time, and had a house to fund that was lying empty for almost 5 months, so I went the whole 4 months only speaking to my wife for 20 minutes a week and everything else was by dial-up internet emails or handwritten letters.

Did it affect my mental health? f***ing right it did. I came back a different person with a different outlook on life. My daughter didnt recognise me and called me "man" for weeks. That hurt.

Fast forward to 2022 and I see a millionaire footballer who may or may not be homesick, and I think - He could facetime every day. He could buy up the entire wing of a six star hotel and fly those he misses out, and even if they only get to meet for a coffee every other day, it would be worth it, and he wouldnt bat an eyelid at the cost of doing that. There are choices the super rich can make to combat homesickness.

I’m assuming you don’t subscribe to the idea that the military make their sacrifices so that the people at home can have their freedoms then?

Hes away for a month tops and thats it. In a lovely hotel, nice food, gym, pool, all the mon cons, millions in the bank and will be going back to his family and mansion in no time. On the other hand imagine being in the forces how hard that would be, months on end in shitty tents getting a phonecall home every other day with shite pay going in your bank every month.

I work away from home, 7x12 hour shifts for a month, home for a week and then repeat, i live in a small onsuite bedroom in a bnb, would love a swim and a sauna when i get in to relax followed by a lovely meal cooked by a chef, if im lucky its facetime the wife and kids, A microwave meal then bed. Believe me i know what homesickness is and that lads got nothing to worry about.
Pfft! I work away from home 500 days per year, working 39 hours per day down a mine on the moon. My bed is made it broken glass and im lucky if I get fed a live cockroach and my employer pays me -£30 per day.

I would love the luxury of a real bed, normal food and an en-suite.

What do you know about homesickness you soft shite!

🙄

Back