Below Freezing Temperatures

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date

Loads in news today about minus 23 minus 8 etc. Can you tell the difference ? If its freezing or below does it make a difference to how cold you feel?
I can’t feel the difference. Once it’s below -5 it all feels the same. The wind however hurts like fuck once it get to the -40’s. The other night I was at work and it was -49 with a wind chill of -55. It’s the coldest I’ve ever been in my life.
my nostrils froze closed. At one point I had to take my hand out my glove and mitten to hold my fingers on my eye lash so I could open my eye again.

Last edited:
I can’t feel the difference. Once it’s below -5 it all feels the same. The wind however hurts like fuck once it get to the -40’s. The other night I was at work and it was -49 with a wind chill of -55. It’s the coldest I’ve ever been in my life.
my nostrils froze closed. At one point I had to take my hand out my glove and mitten to hold my fingers on my eye lash so I could open my eye again.
Where?

Heat is lost in proportion to temperature gradient, body temp is average 36.5, at zero that's 36.5 degrees different (obvs.) at minus 36.5 its 73 twice the difference, lose heat at twice the rate.

But thermal conductivity is a game changer, water is about 20 times as conductive as air & clothes insulate, hence you will get cold in a lake far faster than stood on the bank, and a dry suit will save you. Humidity in air is therefore a factor, as is wind that will blow your body heat away.

Then factor in behaviour & diet, you will eat more & move around more (generating internal heat) if you are in a cold climate.

I got married beside a frozen lake at -19 Celsius air temp wearing long johns under my suit (no hat).

Last edited:
Mrs Cat(no) being Polish has regularly faced temps around -15/-20 growing up and says that providing the air is dry and not too windy its not really such a problem.

Was -11 here this morning,coldest I've experienced is -24 afew years back I think and it's ok as long as you dress accordingly - me and the kids were out sledging in -8 this afternoon no issues. I'd rather take -11 here than -1 in the north east with the wind off the north sea

Coldest I’ve experienced was -18 on the in-laws farm in 2010 at Christmas.

Atlantic winds blowing in and snow storms the likes I've never seen since, literally covered the cars.

Spent an hour digging out the path to the barn to get the generator out for power to the house as the the grid went down.

worst Christmas ever.

Extreme weather impacts both ends of the spectrum. Can’t see anything wrong with what he’s said tbh. It gets colder in winter and hotter in summer, generally, because of humans.
It was the generally because of humans bit that was a bit of an exaggeration
Dan thickie
You seem to call a lot of people thickies. It this because of an insecurity? :lol:
Coldest I’ve experienced was -18 on the in-laws farm in 2010 at Christmas.

Atlantic winds blowing in and snow storms the likes I've never seen since, literally covered the cars.

Spent an hour digging out the path to the barn to get the generator out for power to the house as the the grid went down.

worst Christmas ever.
Same temperature and same year for me, working in Lincolnshire

Last edited:

Back