Below Freezing Temperatures

• Thread starter Deleted member 32773
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 32773

Loads in news today about minus 23 minus 8 etc. Can you tell the difference ? If its freezing or below does it make a difference to how cold you feel?

Loads in news today about minus 23 minus 8 etc. Can you tell the difference ? If its freezing or below does it make a difference to how cold you feel?
I've worked in minus zero conditions, and to be truthful you don't really notice the difference between a minus 5 or a minus 15 - AS LONG -as the wind is calm and it is a dry cold.
I have worked in Greenland and Finland in just a T-shirt under my overalls, but in Germany I needed a good lot of layers on for roughly the same temperatures.
Mind you, there's some great thermal gear about nowadays.

Was down London during those -18 ones a few years back. Walking around at night it didn't *feel* too bad until you realise just how quickly you go from Warmish to About to Perish as your body temperature drops through the ground.:lol:

I've felt much colder at +2 degrees in Sunderland than at -20 in the Alps. The factors of wind and humidity make a big difference to how cold you feel. You'd still probably get hypothermia and die quicker at minus temperatures though.

I've worked in minus zero conditions, and to be truthful you don't really notice the difference between a minus 5 or a minus 15 - AS LONG -as the wind is calm and it is a dry cold.
I have worked in Greenland and Finland in just a T-shirt under my overalls, but in Germany I needed a good lot of layers on for roughly the same temperatures.
Mind you, there's some great thermal gear about nowadays.
Cheers, wind makes sense was down Roker walking on beach Tuesday afternoon and never felt pain in hands so much off the wind and had gloves on and coffee in hands. Amazes me how humans ended up living in cold climates like Siberia and Alaska etc

This cold snap was mentioned 'at work' today. Although I'm not a climate change denier, it made me laugh when our resident CC 'expert' said that cold snaps are also 'evidence' of climate change. I stupidly asked 'How is that?'. The answer was that all extreme weather is caused by humans.

Last edited:
This cold snap was mentioned 'at work' today. Although I'm not a climate change denier, it made me laugh when our resident CC 'expert' said that cold snaps are also 'evidence' of climate change. I stupidly asked 'How is that?'. The answer was that all extreme weather is caused by humans.
Extreme weather impacts both ends of the spectrum. Can’t see anything wrong with what he’s said tbh. It gets colder in winter and hotter in summer, generally, because of humans.

Are you north east based?
i can remember the north dock in Sunderland freezing in the 70s and diesel freezing in boats and lorries.
I have no idea if mankind is to blame but it was colder last night than back then. The trend might be warmer mind

I have experienced temperatures of -20 (standard day) to minus 40 on bad days in Kazakhstan. Safe to say both are cold. There is not really a noticeable difference as you are wearing extreme cold wear at -20.
The difference though, as mentioned earlier, is that when it is -20 and windy it feels so much more uncomfortable than -40 and calm.
Safe to say that during the 2-3 months of really cold Winter there you perfect the art of speed smoking!!

Back