Belmont viaduct area

JAZZMANB

Striker
Looking for spots for my weekend walk
can you get near it ?
i take it its blocked to walk over ?
can you do a river walk under it ? from which side ?

thanks

can you get near it ?

thanks

It is blocked but apparently there's a public riverside footpath on the Belmont side of the river which will take you directly under the viaduct. Mind, that footpath appears to stop in the middle of nowhere approx. 1km after the viaduct.

can you get near it ?

thanks

That old railway line goes past the nick at Brasside, although I’ve not ventured to see if it’s accessible. It’s a grand structure mind. Very similar to Victory viaduct downstream.

can you get near it ?

thanks
Yes you can walk along the river bank from The Sands all the way to the viaduct. It's a fantastic bridge, beautiful it is. Well hidden.
We often walk along there as we live there. Never ventured on top but apparently you can sneak on according to someone on facey that I Read a couple of months ago. I will give it a go wh3n a bit drier as it's a steep slope up to the top

There is also another hidden bridge further downstream before Finchale. You get to it from Leamside, it's a mini version of Wearm8uth bridge. Canny small actually

Last edited:
Stay at home

Where caravan spot is ?
Can access from there too... From caravan site the path runs adjacent to the 690...for about 400 yards there's a public footpath sign and a style. You can enter the woods there too. Follow the path down to the river and head right. Path quality is a bit shit but can get to the viaduct.
A690 car park too off the slip road to belmont as @Joe Public said.

Make your mind up
Allotment or home

Where 5 a side place is ? I'll look thanks
Before that, it’s literally just before the road snakes round to/from the A690. There’s only about 10 parking spaces there. Sometimes go for a stroll there on my dinner.
It’s called Durham river walk car park spot on google maps.

Last edited:
Looking at the OS map again, the footpath west goes into Durham itself. You could park near the passport office (there’s a few car parks around that area) and have a slightly longer walk along the river and to the viaduct.

Back