Belly Fat and muscle gain diet advice

Donnie Darko

Goalkeeper
Has anyone got any tips on how to lose belly fat and gaining muscle . I go to the gym three times a week and I generally eat healthy Monday to Saturday . I really need a diet plan but don’t even know where to start. Has anyone got any recommendations or links to good sites? I’m not on a great budget either at the moment

My understanding (correct me if I’m wrong here guys) is that you can’t build more muscle mass while losing weight, however you can increase your fat free mass index and look more defined (with the same muscle mass as now).

I guess that’s what you’re after?

Have a calorie deficient diet. If you exercise a lot more than usual than you can probably eat more than you do now too...just remember the calories need to be less than everything you do.

If you can handle exercising more & eating less than you currently do it’ll be great for now, but it is not sustainable. Aim for 500-800 calories less than what you burn per day for as long as you need.

As for exercise selection - it depends what you want to emphasise, but if you want an overall improved physique I’d suggest pull ups, bench press and squats / leg press. X3 per week. That’ll work the vast majority of your muscles and frame.

Last edited:
My understanding (correct me if I’m wrong here guys) is that you can’t build more muscle mass while losing weight, however you can increase your fat free mass index and look more defined (with the same muscle mass as now).

I guess that’s what you’re after?

Have a calorie deficient diet. If you exercise a lot more than usual than you can probably eat more than you do now too...just remember the calories need to be less than everything you do.

If you can handle exercising more & eating less than you currently do it’ll be great for now, but it is not sustainable. Aim for 500-800 calories less than what you burn per day for as long as you need.

As for exercise selection - it depends what you want to emphasise, but if you want an overall improved physique I’d suggest pull ups, bench press and squats / leg press. X3 per week. That’ll work the vast majority of your muscles and frame.
Cheers mate I’ve started monitoring my food I’m gonna get some scales to weigh everything and I’ve just got my fitness pal app. Started doing a lot more cardio the last week building it up gradually and doing heavy weights 3 times a week so far so good need to get it going for a couple month

1.) Eating healthy does not help you lose fat, it's just food that's nutrient dense and good for you. If the healthy food you're eating is less calories than what you burn then you will lose fat. You could eat mcdonalds every day in a caloric deficit and lose fat, but you'd be fking ill within a month :D

2.) if you're training 3 times a week you should go for compound full body workout, Will absolutely do the trick.

Shoulder press
Lat Pull down
Dips
Squats
Bench press
Dead lifts

Go on youtube and master the form how to do them correct and safe.
Make sure you have 1 or 2 days rest from gym in between workouts, give time for muscle to recover. If you ignore advice and go fro bro split you can train every day. Full body repeat you need rest.

3. If you're just starting out training you can absolutely build muscle whilst dieting, nowhere near to what you could if bulking. but 5-10 lb is easily achievable so keep in mind to take body fat % as you drop lbs of fat you will be gaining lbs of muscle

4. weigh yourself every morning, same time, before brekafast, after shite. Take average after 7 days, repeat and compare last weeks average to this weeks. If you've lost then repeat. If not change shit up

5. workout whether you're gonna cal count, or "eat healthy" calorie counting is guaranteed win if you do it properly. Google myfitnespal to count cals, and tdee calculator to work your shit out.

6. get a step counter, do 15,000 steps everyday.

If you follow above advice there is a 70% chance you will lose fat and build muscle.

p.s diet 7 days a week not 6, your body works on a weeks average. there are no days off.

best of luck, and smash the shit out of it.

There is no way of targetting and shifting belly fat alone.......To lose belly fat you need to lose fat full stop.......Calorie deficit week in week out will shift a massive amount of weight.....People often say losing 1 to 2lbs a week is soul destroying but when you think about it that means shifting between just under 4st and up to 8st in a year without having to starve yourself.

1.) Eating healthy does not help you lose fat, it's just food that's nutrient dense and good for you. If the healthy food you're eating is less calories than what you burn then you will lose fat. You could eat mcdonalds every day in a caloric deficit and lose fat, but you'd be fking ill within a month :D

2.) if you're training 3 times a week you should go for compound full body workout, Will absolutely do the trick.

Shoulder press
Lat Pull down
Dips
Squats
Bench press
Dead lifts

Go on youtube and master the form how to do them correct and safe.
Make sure you have 1 or 2 days rest from gym in between workouts, give time for muscle to recover. If you ignore advice and go fro bro split you can train every day. Full body repeat you need rest.

3. If you're just starting out training you can absolutely build muscle whilst dieting, nowhere near to what you could if bulking. but 5-10 lb is easily achievable so keep in mind to take body fat % as you drop lbs of fat you will be gaining lbs of muscle

4. weigh yourself every morning, same time, before brekafast, after shite. Take average after 7 days, repeat and compare last weeks average to this weeks. If you've lost then repeat. If not change shit up

5. workout whether you're gonna cal count, or "eat healthy" calorie counting is guaranteed win if you do it properly. Google myfitnespal to count cals, and tdee calculator to work your shit out.

6. get a step counter, do 15,000 steps everyday.

If you follow above advice there is a 70% chance you will lose fat and build muscle.

p.s diet 7 days a week not 6, your body works on a weeks average. there are no days off.

best of luck, and smash the shit out of it.
Cheers marra solid advice man I’ll report back with the results

There’s my problem at the minute. Having a calorie deficit Monday - Friday is a piece of piss for me, loads of excercise & the structure of the working day helps loads.

I’m going to a gig on Friday, I’ll have 10pints which will be a kick in the knackers for the work I’ve done so far his week.

That said, if I didn’t watch those calories Monday - Friday & excercise, I’d be a house end.

Christmas is obviously a problem too. I’ve got a night out every weekend between now & Christmas. My choice I suppose.

From my personal experience.
Eat something high in protein for every meal and drink plenty of water.
Don't avoid "high fat" foods, avoid sugar.
Lift heavy weights for an hour 4x a week.

Don't avoid anything, but otherwise I agree.

Maybe cut down on sugar then ;) If there's a lot in your diet.
Basically common sense though, don't eat as much ice cream, sweets and beer as they're full of empty calories.
Made a big difference for me.

Agree mate, I just don't like total avoidance in most cases. Whenever people are told to totally avoid something it often heighten the desire for that food, and if they have a small amount will then often write the day off and binge :lol:

Agree mate, I just don't like total avoidance in most cases. Whenever people are told to totally avoid something it often heighten the desire for that food, and if they have a small amount will then often write the day off and binge :lol:

To be fair that's what I do most Saturdays :lol:

Fairy nuff but there’s no such thing as ‘toning’.
The Myth Of TONING!

Ahhh ok.....my toning is lightweight repitions to lightly build my muscle mass. My name toning, is that right probably not but I kniw what I mean for me!

But also using heavier weights as well to hopefully get the mass back. Befire go onto bar work later down the line.

But to lose the weight had to stop the carbs and heavy on the protein. 7 lbs to lose then back on carbs and protein to build the muscle.

With start the fruit and greens then as well. All well and good following experts and advice if it does what it says on the tin, bix or lable.

9 times out of 10 all bollocks. Worked out what works for me to put the fat on and reversed it 9 months to take off the lard.

Not go back to that again.....not bothered about being over muscled not got the frame for it now. But would like some.

Working on Abs and arns every night. Know my own body better than anyone.

Got it into a distressed state without any help.... ..hopefully the rebuild will go equally as well. Others might not agree and entitled to their opinions. But Meh!

I will take any useful advice that works, will also take advice that does not work. Just will not use it. But thanks to anyone to takes the time and effort to respond.

Appreciate it!

Ahhh ok.....my toning is lightweight repitions to lightly build my muscle mass. My name toning, is that right probably not but I kniw what I mean for me!

But also using heavier weights as well to hopefully get the mass back. Befire go onto bar work later down the line.

But to lose the weight had to stop the carbs and heavy on the protein. 7 lbs to lose then back on carbs and protein to build the muscle.

With start the fruit and greens then as well. All well and good following experts and advice if it does what it says on the tin, bix or lable.

9 times out of 10 all bollocks. Worked out what works for me to put the fat on and reversed it 9 months to take off the lard.

Not go back to that again.....not bothered about being over muscled not got the frame for it now. But would like some.

Working on Abs and arns every night. Know my own body better than anyone.

Got it into a distressed state without any help.... ..hopefully the rebuild will go equally as well. Others might not agree and entitled to their opinions. But Meh!

I will take any useful advice that works, will also take advice that does not work. Just will not use it. But thanks to anyone to takes the time and effort to respond.

Appreciate it!
I have experienced something similar.

I played football and ran regularly but about 4 years ago I decided to go to the gym to add muscle.

I have a slim frame so when I increase cals and lift I add muscle but then look a bit too chubby.

When I run and think about what I eat I then look gaunt.

I suppose you have to decide whether the aim is aesthetics, strength, maintenance etc.

At the moment I am quite happy with my all round appearance and fitness levels. I’d like more muscle but I don’t have time to be obsessive about food intake and I enjoy going for runs too.

If you aren’t a professional and not too hefty/weak/ugly then chillax and enjoy the journey.

I have experienced something similar.

I played football and ran regularly but about 4 years ago I decided to go to the gym to add muscle.

I have a slim frame so when I increase cals and lift I add muscle but then look a bit too chubby.

When I run and think about what I eat I then look gaunt.

I suppose you have to decide whether the aim is aesthetics, strength, maintenance etc.

At the moment I am quite happy with my all round appearance and fitness levels. I’d like more muscle but I don’t have time to be obsessive about food intake and I enjoy going for runs too.

If you aren’t a professional and not too hefty/weak/ugly then chillax and enjoy the journey.

Totally agree fella. . .you do what you want for you. Some choices we get wrong some we get right.

All a learning curve, hopefully get the balance right. I used to run and march miles in both boots and running shoes.

Till I became really unwell, and it all went ti hell in a handcart. My body was still a temple, by unfortunatley became derelict and in a word Fucked!

Still not in the best of health, but operations are done with for now and worked. Medication is controlling my health.

Getting fit again is sorting out my mental health and well being. Been a long 5 years of really bad health.

But finally appear to be in control and managing my illness rather than it controlling me. Had lots of help including advice, encouragement and chastisement when required when depressed

@Amber and @becs were fantastic, becoming good friends. Known @Amber longer and would not have done so well without them.

Never letting myself go again if I have any choice. Be good fella, as long as enjoying life and in a good place well all is good.

See you on the threads!

Back