Belfast.

Have a look in the Crown opposite where the bus from the airport stops.
Night after I came home, I read big Jim Macdonald was in and started scrapping with so.e American tourist, so he was....

Titanic exhibition is ok but very busy and you need the headset. Guess it depends what your interest is.
Jail is fasinating ... no spoilers
Didn't do the black cab tour but tbe old fella on the open top bus tour gave a canny insight into tbe troubles and I learnt a lot.

I have been a couple of times and think it's great. Personally speaking, I thought the Titanic Exhibition was really good, spent ages in there.

The Crumlin Road jail was really interesting, no other spoliers as per other poster above.

I did the hop on hop off bus, it gives you a chance to see different parts of the city and you also get a good appreciation of the murals too.

I went to George Best's grave too. Duke of York pub was excellent, gaslit and loads of football memorabilia too.

Will go back again sometime.

Laverys is a cracking pub, well it was when I used to go to Belfast ten years ago. Also The Botanic Inn had a good few Sunderland regulars for our matches.

This is what pubs should be like, lots of different venues all under one roof.

We also spent a good bit of time in the Mexican bar in the centre. Really good chilled out vibe with band after band playing small sets.

Last edited:
Have a look in the Crown opposite where the bus from the airport stops.
Night after I came home, I read big Jim Macdonald was in and started scrapping with so.e American tourist, so he was....

Titanic exhibition is ok but very busy and you need the headset. Guess it depends what your interest is.
Jail is fasinating ... no spoilers
Didn't do the black cab tour but tbe old fella on the open top bus tour gave a canny insight into tbe troubles and I learnt a lot.

That was our last jar mate. Great bar.

Aye, loved it when we went, much preferred than Dublin.

booked to go again in March. 70 return flights to the George best airport

We are currently trying to decide between Belfast and Dublin at the moment for our 40ths next year.

Belfast worth a look? Much of a muchness on flights and accommodation.

Belfast is toppa, some canny holiday cottages to stay in, work out cheaper than hotels. Worth hiring a car and going up the coast if your not getting wasted all weekend too

Last time I was in Belfast they were shooting at me... 🔫 . Once you've tried Smithwick's you'll never change.
A very young Gloria Hunniford reading the news on local TV.
I haven't been since the troubles - the soldiers frightened the shit out of me cos they looked too young to have guns.

I have a great mate there who wants me to visit and I hadn't really thought of it - preferring the idea of Dublin.

This thread is great as I'm having a rethink now.

Love Belfast. Worked there for 3 months last year, then took our lass for the first time in June - she loved it.

Personally, I thought the titanic museuam was really good, the way its set up is really clever, coming to the windows and seeing the outline of Titanic and Olympic side by side - gave you an idea of the sheer size of them. Its also thought provoking, if you do go there, I suggest you go to the Titanic memorial first in the grounds of the town hall, it shows whole families just wiped out. Really moving and thought provoking.

One thing that struck a chord with me regarding the Titanic was after going to the exhibition, we were in the town hall just keeping out of the rain. There's a lovely old wooden cabinet/desk there that was supposed to be on the ship but wasn't finished in time and missed the fitting out.
It doesn't know how lucky it was !!

To add what others have said, it's a superb city, the Titanic museum and jail are superb.

One thing that struck a chord with me regarding the Titanic was after going to the exhibition, we were in the town hall just keeping out of the rain. There's a lovely old wooden cabinet/desk there that was supposed to be on the ship but wasn't finished in time and missed the fitting out.
It doesn't know how lucky it was !!
Aye i saw that. The City Hall tour was great as well.

Back