Belfast

Anyone been? I’ve been thinking about maybe doing a master’s next year and Queen’s have a course I’m interested in. Never been to NI.

I moved to Northern Ireland 13 years ago and never regretted it, lovely country and people, although I live 35 miles from Belfast, my niece trying to get in Queens and found student accommodations a bit pricey so she commutes daily, cheaper to stay in the outskirts.

Worked there for 2 months in October/November and loved it. People are great, plenty of bars of restaurants. Its not the biggest city, so it's fairly easy to walkaround.

I was in the Holiday inn, which is a 5 minute walk from The Crown and Robinsons. Benedicts is a shout over the weekend, gets rammed. Laverys across the road is also a decent bar. If you want a decent kebab, Kebab house just around the corner is fantastic, recommend the chicken pakora/donner Naan wrap for £6.50 - its massive.

I'm going back for the weekend at some point with our lass (no).

One more thing, you'll have to try a Belfast pastie.
Holiday Inn next to Sandy Row? If that’s the one google the bonfire they have in the car park next to it for the 12th :lol:

I’ve stayed in Benedicts, love the place, Robinson’s is w cracking bar too.

Holiday Inn next to Sandy Row? If that’s the one google the bonfire they have in the car park next to it for the 12th :lol:

I’ve stayed in Benedicts, love the place, Robinson’s is w cracking bar too.

Aye mate thats the one. I googled the pics, after seeing the damage they done to the car park :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

The heat was that intense, all the frames of the plastic windows in the hotel are warped :lol:.

They set up a fair in there while we were there. Set the big wheel up, only to find that if they got it going, it'd twat a street lamp :lol:. They had to move the whole thing 5ft over to the right.

Last edited:
Aye mate thats the one. I googled the pics, after seeing the damage they done to the car park :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

The heat was that intense, all the frames of the plastic windows in the hotel are warped :lol:.

They set up a fair in there while we were there. Set the big wheel up, only to find that if they got it going, it'd twat a street lamp :lol:. They had to move the whole thing 5ft over to the right.
They’ll do the same next year too :lol:

Wow surprised by the adulation Belfast is getting, I mean I've lived there, went to uni there etc but its not that great. The only type of English people who ever considered moving here in the past were people in the army or far right dickheads (saw a report about some of the Chelsea headhunters retiring/moving over to East Belfast), that's changing now obviously since the end of the troubles.

How many of you's would consider living here for good? There's still a lot of sectarianism, many of the communities remain bitterly divided. City centre is good craic, but honestly after a while hearing the constant sectarian squabbling in the news pisses you off after a while.

Well worth a good couple of years here though OP, you'll enjoy it, Queens has a good reputation and is usually ranked in the top 30 UK universities.

Last edited:
Lived there until I was 18 then moved over here to buck birds who loved the accent. If any of you are 21 - 24 and you mam loves an Irish accent, then I might just be your father.

Especially if your mam went to Annabel's on Wednesday and Pzazz Thursday :cool:

It’s a fookin shit hole and makes Hetton seem like the French Riviera

Bet I bucked your mam or sister

Edit : Hetton? They could be both and the same

Get to Pug Uglys in the city centre. That's my local in town. Cracking bar, cracking staff and cracking grub.

Yep the branch meets in The Bot but I haven't bothered with it in a couple of years. Glad to read some positive comments but as its home for me I don't get the appeal haha.

Then again I get some odd looks when I mention that I f***ing love a night out in Sunderland.....

Wow surprised by the adulation Belfast is getting, I mean I've lived there, went to uni there etc but its not that great. The only type of English people who ever considered moving here in the past were people in the army or far right dickheads (saw a report about some of the Chelsea headhunters retiring/moving over to East Belfast), that's changing now obviously since the end of the troubles.

How many of you's would consider living here for good? There's still a lot of sectarianism, many of the communities remain bitterly divided. City centre is good craic, but honestly after a while hearing the constant sectarian squabbling in the news pisses you off after a while.

Well worth a good couple of years here though OP, you'll enjoy it, Queens has a good reputation and is usually ranked in the top 30 UK universities.
I still have a house there, it’s a brilliant place, East Belfast is very welcoming for English people unlike certain other parts of the city. You’ll still get the Spanish Inquisition if you randomly walked into certain bars due to the way they work.

It seems the majority of people who enjoy and like Belfast don’t venture into East or West Belfast for a pint or two with the locals. The city centre is a million miles away from places like New Barnsley, Ballymurphy and the Turf Lodge etc. Of course sectarianism is still rife, it’s going to take some time to try and remove that but it is a much better place than it was.

@matt228 fuckin go for it marra, you’ll love it and there’s some stunning birds over there too!

Back