Belfast

The Cathedral Quarter can be pricey on it so bring some serious cash. Avoid The Points on Dublin Road. Forced attempt at a traditional Irish boozer and definitely aimed at the tourists. The Yanks lap it up.

Bouncers at Filthy McNastys across the street are notorious for being a pack of wankers so avoid it. Also a pretentious hole.

Belfast Castle is lovely to get a walk round during the day if the weather holds up. My local in town, Morrisons on Bedford Street does a great pint and its a no frills boozer where regulars and staff hurl abuse at each other.

If you like a kebab at the end of the night, the kebab munch box from The Kebab House on Shaftesbury Square/Donegall Road is a great shout.

Aye went with work, had a blast (so to speak).

Definately go for a beer in The Crown (most bombed pub in the world) opposite the Europa Hotel (most bombed hotel in the world).

The pub is spooky - where you'd normally have a booth, you have a booth...but with a nice high door attached to it so nobody knows who is in there.

Also go for a tour of the estates - do both the Loyalists and Republican tours. If you fancy something more authentic, get a taxi driver to show you around and not the red buses - they'll tell you more stuff and show you more places.

If you're walking around try and notice the utterly mental stuff - like the gates on high streets where stop and searches were carried out - or the massive padlocks on EVERYTHING.

I want to go back and quite fancy the Titanic museum next time.
And likely fund the UVF or the IRA.

Do the black cab tour , the bus is shit

Go to Holohans for dinner (supper)

Love Belfast , I’ve been more than a dozen times and always something new to explore

Just to note-the pub has never been bombed, the outside was damaged a few times when the Europa was bombed.
The hotel was targeted by the IRA as it was seen as a symbol and hoped to get worldwide publicity by bombing it.

The Fort Bar on Springfield Road is worth a visit if historical pubs interest you. The owner opened up the function room
to show us some fascinating photographs taken during the height of the troubles.
I've been going to Belfast since the early eighties and love the city. As mentioned doing a black cab tour is a great way to
see how both sides of the divide live. Paddy Campbell gives a great tour and knowledgable impartial insight.

Back