Beirut

I know some of you lads are well travelled, so, anyone been to Beirut?

I've fancied Istanbul for a couple of years now, so flying into there and was looking for options of somewhere else to spend 5 days or so. Was going to go back to Belgrade as loved it last year, looked at Sofia and sounds bang average, thought about Budapest but not hugely sold on it; and then was f***ing around with the map last night and thought can I get a flight from Istanbul into somewhere in the Middle East. Beirut, turns out the flight is only one and half hours and hundred and fifty quid return.

Started reading about it, did a bit of You Tube, looks fuckin' exceptional.

Anyone been?
Mate works for Barclays, he loved it there

Yes, went for a few nights in the mid 2000's. The women are something else, me and my mate couldnt believe the amount of stunning lasses - they didnt give us a second glance like :lol::lol::lol: Nightlife was excellent - Rue Monnot was the place to be then, in what used to be Christian East Beirut during the civil war but we were staying in Muslim West Beirut, all Hezbollah and Amal flags :eek::eek::eek: eating kebabs with the locals.
Just had a wander around one day, some nice architecture to see, ancient Churches and Mosques, then paid to get into a hotel pool on the Corniche the next couple of days. Everywhere took dollars and euros, had no bother whatsoever and would love to go back.
Highly recommended!

Cheers for that, mate. I know what you mean about Arab women. I've been to the Middle East and the women are immaculate, look like they've spent all day in the mirror. Well, I'm going - from what I've read and seen on You Tube sounds perfect for what I want out of a holiday. Cheers for the hotel pool tip as I'll need somewhere to go swimming on the mornings.

Was there for work in 2008, loved it. Great night out, grub spot on, local wine also pretty good. Locals really friendly, had no trouble at all. Highly recommended.

Booking two city type breaks at the moment (4 nights).

One sorted to Seville and considering Istanbul. Flights with KLM and picked a hotel but not sure if 4 nights will be overkill. Ideas on sights welcomed

Went with work last March and will be going again this year. Class place on the whole. Some ropey areas but never feels unsafe. Along the sea front is incredible. Some impeccable restaurants with amazing food.

Only downside was one night about midnight I was woken up by machine gun fire. Absolutely shit myself, closed the balcony window and slept it out. Asked about it in the morning and it was a wedding and/or birthday party. Reception fella said it's totally normal.

Very safe to walk around and everyone is welcoming and open. Booze everywhere, nightclubs etc. Could easily be a more upmarket Greek or Turkish sea side town.

Back