Beirut Holiday

Right, I'm in Beirut.

Before I decided to come I did a bit of research and British and American tourists who'd been said safe as houses.

Looked where not to stay and it said near the airport and generally South Beirut, Hezbollah are operating in that part.

Said 60% Muslim/40% Christian and they live fine enough.

That was five months ago.

When I booked it, I looked for accommodation in decent parts, and found Hamra, supposedly home to: artists, hispters and general decent people who don't give a fuck where you come from.

What I didn't appreciate but found out later when the shit hit the fan, well not that bad, and so I looked on the internet, was all of these American and British tourists have pictures up of themselves and all have dark eyes so could pass as a Muslim as a lot of Muslims have light skin. Whereas I'm swanning around with shaved head, blue eyes and eyebrows that go white in the f***ing sun, basically I'm lit up like a fuckin' beacon as being a Westerner and by the way I dress I'm obviously English which my hotel fella confirmed. They get the news reports on the idiots who hoy bottles around in the sun.

So, first day here I go swanning around in Hamra and the fuckin' looks man. But, I don't get it because I thought this was a liberal part of Beirut as the seasoned travellers suggested. 'Day after I go down to the Corniche and I reckon one in every five people I walked past got in my face saying something in Arabic, obviously threatening and this fucker went on for an half an hour walk there and an half an hour walk back.

I get to where I'm staying, and I'm having a tab outside and the hotel fella says don't sit there go to your room, looking very anxious as lads drive past on scooter looking in. So, I take me gear up stairs and there's a bar over the road, so I thought I'd go down for a couple in there, which I do, and when I come out there's a crowd outside just fuckin' glaring at me, I'm staying over the road so on the way in I sit down for a tab and the hotel fella comes running out and says don't sit there have one in your room.

So, I'm thinking what the fuck. 'Look on the internet, and it turns out that Beirut is still split between Muslims in West Beirut and Christians in East Beirut, and it turns out where I'm staying, Hamra, is in West Beirut. And, there's a Syrian refugee camp not far away and a big Palestinian population here and Hezbollah have been known to carry out attacks here. A British aid worker was murdered at the beginning of June, and since I booked it anti-Western felling among the Muslim population has gone into orbit.

So, I'm thinking I've fucked this right up.

I should say at this point, the hotel fella and his associate, both Muslims, are both top class, couldn't be more helpful, but I get a sense that they're looking at me thinking you don't realise the danger you're in.

So, I thought I need to go to the Christian part of Beirut. 'Shame really as I don't give a fuck if someone is Muslim, Christian, Jewish or just come down from the moon, but it's just not comfortable here. So, I've been down to Mar Mikhael today in East Beirut. Shit hot. The lasses man, fuckin' ell. Cracking pubs, Camden Town type feel. A couple of Lebanese lasses wanted me to stay down there and have a night out with them, but it's just not a risk worth taking for me as I don't want to be travelling back over here late at night pissed. A few lads on a break, who conducted themselves in the right manner, would have a right old time in East Beirut. Cracking strip of bars and atmosphere and I'd imagine when hits about 10 o'clock it's mental as they clearly like a good time.

Got a few more days here, wish I'd stayed in East Beirut, only because it's safe for me, but will be making my over there every day.

The only danger left is the airport is in South Beirut where Hezbollah are attacking Westerners.

Right, I'm in Beirut.

Before I decided to come I did a bit of research and British and American tourists who'd been said safe as houses.

Looked where not to stay and it said near the airport and generally South Beirut, Hezbollah are operating in that part.

When I booked it, I looked for accommodation in decent parts, and found Hamra, supposedly home to: artists, hispters and general decent people who don't give a fuck where you come from.

What I didn't appreciate but found out later when the shit hit the fan, well not that bad, and so I looked on the internet, was all of these American and British tourists have pictures up of themselves and all have dark eyes so could pass as a Muslim as a lot of Muslims have light skin. Whereas I'm swanning around with shaved head, blue eyes and eyebrows that go white in the f***ing sun, basically I'm lit up like a fuckin' beacon as being a Westerner and by the way I dress I'm obviously English which my hotel fella confirmed. They get the news reports on the idiots who hoy bottles around in the sun.

So, first day here I go swanning around in Hamra and the fuckin' looks man. But, I don't get it because I thought this was a liberal part of Beirut as the seasoned travellers suggested. 'Day after I go down to the Corniche and I reckon one in every five people I walked past got in my face saying something in Arabic, obviously threatening and this fucker went on for an half an hour walk there and an half an hour walk back.

I get to where I'm staying, and I'm having a tab outside and the hotel fella says don't sit there go to your room, looking very anxious as lads drive past on scooter looking in. So, I take me gear up stairs and there's a bar over the road, so I thought I'd go down for a couple in there, which I do, and when I come out there's a crowd outside just fuckin' glaring at me, I'm staying over the road so on the way in I sit down for a tab and the hotel fella comes running out and says don't sit there have one in your room.

So, I'm thinking what the fuck. 'Look on the internet, and it turns out that Beirut is still split between Muslims in West Beirut and Christians in East Beirut, and it turns out where I'm staying, Hamra, is in West Beirut. And, there's a Syrian refugee camp not far away and a big Palestinian population here and Hezbollah have been known to carry out attacks here. A British aid worker was murdered at the beginning of June, and since I booked it anti-Western felling among the Muslim population has gone into orbit.

I should say at this point, the hotel fella and his associate, both Muslims, are both top class, couldn't be more helpful, but I get a sense that they're looking at me thinking you don't realise the danger you're in.

So, I thought I need to go to the Christian part of Beirut. 'Shame really as I don't give a fuck if someone is Muslim, Christian, Jewish or just come down from the moon, but it's just not comfortable here. So, I've been down to Mar Mikhael today in East Beirut. Shit hot. The lasses man, fuckin' ell. Cracking pubs, Camden Town type feel. A couple of Lebanese lasses wanted me to stay down there and have a night out with them, but it's just not a risk worth taking for me as I don't want to be travelling back over here late at night pissed. A few lads on a break, who conducted themselves in the right manner, would have a right old time in East Beirut. Cracking strip of bars and atmosphere and I'd imagine when hits about 10 o'clock it's mental as they clearly like a good time.

Got a few more days here, wish I'd stayed in East Beirut, only because it's safe for me, b ut will be making my over there every day.

The only danger left is the airport is in South Beirut where Hezbollah are attacking Westerners.
Failed in your research by the sound of it. Glad you're ok and also wear a cap outside baldy :D

Right, I'm in Beirut.

Got a few more days here, wish I'd stayed in East Beirut, only because it's safe for me, but will be making my over there every day.

switch hotels?

That sounds scary as owt. I'd be cutting my losses and finding somewhere to stop in East Beirut. Take care marra xx

Thanks. I think as long as I pick a taxi up outside my hotel and get away from the area I'm fine.

I get the impression the locals don't want to attack me but neither do they want me in their community.

This never happens to me in Spain. OP is obviously a wrang’un.

It's happened to me in one of the Greek islands, not just me but everyone else English there. Basically everyone English told you and your money is not welcome here fuck off.

Last edited:
Fuck that like, get shifted just incase. Money wont buy your freedom or health if some radge decides to take it, spend the cash to get somewhere safe.

Don’t understand this at all. If the OP has done this just for the bragging rights then he’s mad. If he’s got the wrong side of Beirut by mistake then he’s daft.

Sorry like but I’ve got no sympathy.

Right, I'm in Beirut.….

I get to where I'm staying, and I'm having a tab outside and the hotel fella says don't sit there go to your room, looking very anxious as lads drive past on scooter looking in. So, I take me gear up stairs and there's a bar over the road, so I thought I'd go down for a couple in there, which I do, and when I come out there's a crowd outside just fuckin' glaring at me, I'm staying over the road so on the way in I sit down for a tab and the hotel fella comes running out and says don't sit there have one in your room....

so twice under those circs you decide to sit down outside your hotel and simply have a tab? :rolleyes: … I take it you don't rate common sense that highly? :lol:

Back