Being on strike / money

I'm not in a job that would go on strike so I'm not fully up to speed with how it works, in terms of money.
My understanding is you don't get paid for the days you are on strike, so what do workers do for money? I think the union pays them for the lost days but not sure if I'm right.

Do people just go without costing workers potentially a lot of money for long standing disputes? Surely a union couldn't endlessly pay out massive sums.

Officially are you meant to turn up at a picket line to get your money?

Sorry for all the questions, just quite interested, and also hopefully help me not misjudge situations.
Aye, nowt changed when my old man was involved in the miners strike, we certainly lived the good life!

Who’s hoarding pensions they payed nothing into? We pay 14.odd % into ours.

Public sector pensions are zero contribution aren’t they?? You would think they were the way some go on about them.
Haway mate, not even in jest. @Waskerly Mackem crossed a picket line before I believe. Said so when he used to post as @yyy

That can’t be true surely? I always had delilha down as an early 20’s fuckwit. Turns out he is a middle aged fuckwit.

Last edited:
Ok, it wasn't in this thread. It was in a thread called Metro 2019. Which is hardly a stretch of research if you were actually interested.
Yep, I know which thread. You didn’t post any details, just the vague issue.

what’s wrong with the proposed shift patterns?
It seems some aren't thinking the same way Moo. They tend to be knackers.
When we've got people sleeping rough and kids eating from food banks, I resent my tax going to the hoarders.

More than happy to pay for the right things.

Last edited:
Yep, I know which thread. You didn’t post any details, just the vague issue.

what’s wrong with the proposed shift patterns?

When we've got people sleeping rough and kids eating from food banks, I resent my tax going to the hoarders.

More than happy to pay for the right things.

If you've read the thread and you still think I'm being vague I'm not sure what you're after other than an actual copy of the rosters themselves TBH.

The existing shifts are already bad enough - as post 353 in the other thread mentions - and they're asking for extra flexibility in the form of the ability to change rest days at a few weeks notice and also altering the sign on points to various locations on the network.

If that's not as in-depth for you as you require then I apologise but I'm not quite sure what you're after.

If you've read the thread and you still think I'm being vague I'm not sure what you're after other than an actual copy of the rosters themselves TBH.

The existing shifts are already bad enough - as post 353 in the other thread mentions - and they're asking for extra flexibility in the form of the ability to change rest days at a few weeks notice and also altering the sign on points to various locations on the network.

If that's not as in-depth for you as you require then I apologise but I'm not quite sure what you're after.
That's what I was after. I'm not quite sure I get the issue, at our place you can get asked to be anywhere in the UK the next day. A few weeks notice doesn't seem that bad.

What's wrong with changing the sign on points, isn't that more flexible?

I've read some of it online now. Answered some questions

Wikipedia says unions have a strike fund to help pay staff on strike? Is that wrong?
The strike fund is basically just a ‘whip-round’ where people stick a few quid in.
Mad when you think about it in terms of today, I doubt there's many could go a month without any pay.
The one thing which I would say really crippled people taking industrial action as much if not more than anything else, was the introduction of credit cards from the eighties onwards. Increased debt levels make industrial action an increasingly impractical option for the exact kind of people who would actually benefit most from being unionised and having a walk out.

That's what I was after. I'm not quite sure I get the issue, at our place you can get asked to be anywhere in the UK the next day. A few weeks notice doesn't seem that bad.

What's wrong with changing the sign on points, isn't that more flexible?

There's no set criteria over the sign on points issue so we don't fully know what we're agreeing to yet aside from where the actually are.

So you don't have set days off? How do you plan things? What about people with kids? Or if you maybe wanted a weekend away at some point?

There's no set criteria over the sign on points issue so we don't fully know what we're agreeing to yet aside from where the actually are.

So you don't have set days off? How do you plan things? What about people with kids? Or if you maybe wanted a weekend away at some point?
Fundamentally though, they can't force you to work more hours than you are contracted to, so you'll always get time off.

There’s a young lass at my work who thinks folk go on strike just for extra time off etc. She was shocked that people lost a day’s pay.

I despair sometimes, I really do.

I bet this is far more common than you’d think like.

That’d explain how annoyed people get at groups going on strike - clearly there’s something wrong there, it’s not action taken lightly just to cause a bit of disruption

I bet this is far more common than you’d think like.

That’d explain how annoyed people get at groups going on strike - clearly there’s something wrong there, it’s not action taken lightly just to cause a bit of disruption
Any decent union uses it only as a last resort else you weaken it's power

Not sure what you mean?

I asked a couple of questions regarding your job as it just felt that this conversation was a bit one sided. You ignored them after giving me grief for not answering your questions in the fullest way possible.

I thought you may have been called away to work at short notice and not had time to answer. That's all.

Back