Being on strike / money

Hull_Mackem

Striker
I'm not in a job that would go on strike so I'm not fully up to speed with how it works, in terms of money.
My understanding is you don't get paid for the days you are on strike, so what do workers do for money? I think the union pays them for the lost days but not sure if I'm right.

Do people just go without costing workers potentially a lot of money for long standing disputes? Surely a union couldn't endlessly pay out massive sums.

Officially are you meant to turn up at a picket line to get your money?

Sorry for all the questions, just quite interested, and also hopefully help me not misjudge situations.

Wikipedia says unions have a strike fund to help pay staff on strike? Is that wrong?
That's always been my understanding of it, though similarly to you I've not been on strike so don't know how much they'd pay - if anything at all.
By the way, I don't think it's a 'stupid question' at all - if you've no experience of it (like me) then you're not gonna be 'up' on it.

When I went on strike I never got paid, some unions do have a strike fund but they don’t use it that often.

I think metro drivers some are using the strike fund at the moment.

I've read some of it online now. Answered some questions

Wikipedia says unions have a strike fund to help pay staff on strike? Is that wrong?
I was on strike for ten weeks at Fords Dagenham in the eighties and got ten pound a week, just had to earn money elsewhere. We ended up with 1/2% rise, waste of time.

I've read some of it online now. Answered some questions

It depends. Whenever we've been on strike we've not been paid. However if its a smaller scale localised issue they might. For example a few years back when Durham TA's went on strike, the lost pay was reimbursed by Unison

You are wrong. You get docked a days pay even if you were not supposed to be working

The last bit isnt true. If for example you've booked a holiday 9 months before & that leave has been approved. Then strike action is called afterwards you will still get paid. Or if you are part time, and the strike is on your day off then you wouldnt lose anything either.

Back