Being Gracious in Defeat

I was just reading a thread on the Charlton forum about their memories of the 1998 playoff final, almost all of them comment on the class shown by our supporters that day, I've also seen similar stories from Man CIty fans in 2014. On the other hand it's funny how Portsmouth fans couldn't even be gracious after they won a few weeks back!

I guess it shows what kind of supporters we are, we can recognise we're all football fans at the end of the day. Having said all that, I prey that come tomorrow Charlton fan's aren't once again talking about how we were good/ bad sports after another wembley loss!!

God im nervous.

(FWIW I don't think I've ever seen a better write up of our fans then this thread) "THE GREATEST GAME" - CHARLTON V SUNDERLAND 1998 - SUPPORTER MEMORIES

I was just reading a thread on the Charlton forum about their memories of the 1998 playoff final, almost all of them comment on the class shown by our supporters that day, I've also seen similar stories from Man CIty fans in 2014. On the other hand it's funny how Portsmouth fans couldn't even be gracious after they won a few weeks back!

I guess it shows what kind of supporters we are, we can recognise we're all football fans at the end of the day. Having said all that, I prey that come tomorrow Charlton fan's aren't once again talking about how we were good/ bad sports after another wembley loss!!

God im nervous.

(FWIW I don't think I've ever seen a better write up of our fans then this thread) "THE GREATEST GAME" - CHARLTON V SUNDERLAND 1998 - SUPPORTER MEMORIES

good read that mate.
i've always thought that a bad winner is much worse than a bad loser. shame that's what portsmouth were.

God im nervous.

That's excellent, mate. Thanks for posting it. Too many accolades to repeat, one bloke describing us as "magnificent in defeat" and this:

"Hugging Sunderland fans on Wembley way on the way home, and laughing and joking with them on the tube all the way back to Baker St - genuinely special fans - I'll never hear a bad word said about them as long as I live."

It's what football is all about. Genuine love of the game, genuine camaraderie.

If you have a couple of hours to spare it is a great read , page 1 will take about an hour :confused:. We are a decent bunch but like any club have a few knobs but fortunately for us most choose to go and watch Millwall

God im nervous.

Tbf the ones I know were, and also last week after the s/f. Even got on a train back from Waterloo with me SAFC hat on with a load of 'em after the CAT and one gave me one of his beers. Probably helps that I dinnit knock about with reet fucktards like.

Tbf the ones I know were, and also last week after the s/f. Even got on a train back from Waterloo with me SAFC hat on with a load of 'em after the CAT and one gave me one of his beers. Probably helps that I dinnit knock about with reet fucktards like.

Yeah I'm not saying their whole fanbase was and I know you're from there so will know plenty more then the rest of us. But there was plenty of stories of experiences with some bad ones after Wembley and that's the memories many of us will keep of them. By all accounts Man City and Charlton (last time) were completely different.

Hopefully it's our time from Charlton fans to judge how we conduct ourselves in victory!

God im nervous.

Good read that I enjoyed it, cheers for posting :cool:

God im nervous.

I know some of their fans have been right twats over the last few months, but this week loads of Pompey fans have wished us well this weekend. They are a good club with great fans. Please don’t judge them by a minority like Llama boy and the gonk out of the Goonies.

God im nervous.

Good read, hope we need to be gracious in victory this time

It was total class from you lot all thru the day,but particularly afterwards.
Been up to Roker and SOL a few times and always been welcome, which is why I'm happy to get on a train at grantham tomorrow which will be packed out with you lot...keep me a seat cheers.
It’s weird. I’ve felt disappointed and even angry after some defeats but that day I felt beaten up. After the City defeat in the final I was still in a party mood
After the Charlton defeat I just wanted the day to be over.
I went home and just went to bed.
I don’t remember any other time I felt like that.

This is true, as always a few F*ck it up for the rest( we’ve got them too unfortunately like all.

It’s weird. I’ve felt disappointed and even angry after some defeats but that day I felt beaten up. After the City defeat in the final I was still in a party mood
Mate,we won and we felt the same.we was all just knackered after what we'd seen.I was living in Shrewsbury at the time,when I got back my ex had covered the house in red and white ticker tape...I went in and ripped it down.It was a good few days after that I could feel any joy from that day.It was like nobody should have won or lost.
Fecking weird.

Play-off finals are like no other football game. It's literally a season in one game with so much at stake.
Cup finals can be enjoyed and being runner up doesn't count for much when all is said and done.
This is huge.

Back