Beginning of the end?

Was watching John Campbell on YouTube. He assesses all data and gives daily updates on the state of play with covid. His latest video was interesting. Basically, Omicrom has almost wiped out delta. Says timescale wise a few weeks. Because Omicrom is so transmissible delta gets wiped out and Omicrom becomes the dominant variant. He said yes there will probably be more variants but there’s a slim to zero chance there will be one as transmissible as Omicrom, therefore it will always be seasonal variant. We’ve already built up an immunity to Omicrom and we’ll need to live with it.
The danger is that a new variant will keep the transmissibility of Omicron but acquire the mortality/morbidity of Delta. I'm not quite sure if there's any science to say what the chances of this happening are but my own view is we can't predict this. Sarah Gilbert said in the autumn that we had reached peak transmissibility with Delta and she was completely wrong. I very much doubt John Campbell is in a position to call this one.

We've had to guess our way through this whole debacle, and that meant multiple methods of coping. We divide and argue through our own belief systems, but nature has set rules that we assume we can side step. As a species we are special in that we have the drive and resources to unravel the meaning of everything, but the universe and it's workings will care not a jot if we end up the cause of our own demise.

I have no compulsion to go back to the old "normal"
Even though i haven't a clue what your trying to say, i'd be grateful if you would take it as a "plus" that i havent replied to you as negatively as i have in the past. I've rather grown to look forward to your posts.

Even though i haven't a clue what your trying to say, i'd be grateful if you would take it as a "plus" that i havent replied to you as negatively as i have in the past. I've rather grown to look forward to your posts.
You started to drop barriers about five replies ago...I know when thought and consideration are engaged before reaction.

None bother me on here, I can find good in most people and hopefully expand on it...the wronguns? Table tennis practise marra 👍

Love it me. Can't think of anything worse than going in the office everyday now, got a proper routine with work uni and working out now.

I started going in a couple of days a week in Sept/Oct before Omicron hit and quite liked the balance of arranging to meet colleagues in the office and it got me out of the house.

However, there was an announcement last week that we are ending the lease on more of our office space. We started with 4 units in our building, then went down to 3 and soon we will be down to one just unit which means that there will be nowhere near enough desks or meeting rooms for more than 20 out of around 100 people to come in at a time.

I started going in a couple of days a week in Sept/Oct before Omicron hit and quite liked the balance of arranging to meet colleagues in the office and it got me out of the house.

However, there was an announcement last week that we are ending the lease on more of our office space. We started with 4 units in our building, then went down to 3 and soon we will be down to one just unit which means that there will be nowhere near enough desks or meeting rooms for more than 20 out of around 100 people to come in at a time.

I wouldn't mind going in once a week if my office was local but my office is in Whitehall which means a chew on travelling there and back for 2 days in the office. Its an absolute farce and eats into my time way too much.

I'll definitely be having a chat with my line manager if Boris removes plan B as I've been ill with flu / cold for the last 3 weeks and it's paggered my chest, can't be risking catching covid now as I'll end up severely ill.

Still no data on how effective masks are with Omicron...suck it and see I guess.
It was our behaviour that lead to the spike. I would hazard a guess that the vast majority got exposed to the virus when not wearing mask through work, play and schools when no masks were worn. I know I did but that’s a sample of 1.
It’s really difficult to see how good masks are when most don’t wear it properly all the time it’s worn. It does however reduce how much you throw out into the atmosphere so technically should reduce viral load to your friends, colleagues.

For me it ends when we don't have a second ITU full of unvaccinated idiots.
Plenty of unvaccinated flu patients in ICU's every winter...where do we draw the line? You can add to that anyone who doesn't look after their body because they know the NHS will catch them when they fall.

Being a selfish bastard it not exclusive to the Covid virus.

Back