Beginning of the end?

Face coverings going too according to this mornings papers.

not according to this

The end of Plan B in sight? ‘Optimistic’ Oliver Dowden hints Covid curbs WILL be lifted on January 26 as Sajid Javid believes the ‘data is moving in the right direction’ – but masks are likely to stay​

not according to this

The end of Plan B in sight? ‘Optimistic’ Oliver Dowden hints Covid curbs WILL be lifted on January 26 as Sajid Javid believes the ‘data is moving in the right direction’ – but masks are likely to stay​

Still no data on how effective masks are with Omicron...suck it and see I guess.

not according to this

Express says otherwise. I trust neither paper in general, so I guess we just wait and see.

"While the UK is ahead of most of the world due to a combination of vaccines and a large number of infections, the planet is not remotely close to seeing the end of the pandemic....."

...and there is always the risk of another new, more serious, variant. Travel to countries not as far forward in the vaccination cycle will certainly be less attractive to me.

"While the UK is ahead of most of the world due to a combination of vaccines and a large number of infections, the planet is not remotely close to seeing the end of the pandemic....."

...and there is always the risk of another new, more serious, variant. Travel to countries not as far forward in the vaccination cycle will certainly be less attractive to me.
Behind a pay wall unfortunately but this looks promising

bascially same article here

Last edited:
Still no data on how effective masks are with Omicron...suck it and see I guess.
Even if they stay it will only be till the next review. Pointless. Look at how many cases the French have had with their even tougher mask restrictions. Spain with their outdoor mask mandate on Dec 21 are now saying they are in an endemic.

Even if they stay it will only be till the next review. Pointless. Look at how many cases the French have had with their even tougher mask restrictions. Spain with their outdoor mask mandate on Dec 21 are now saying they are in an endemic.
We've had to guess our way through this whole debacle, and that meant multiple methods of coping. We divide and argue through our own belief systems, but nature has set rules that we assume we can side step. As a species we are special in that we have the drive and resources to unravel the meaning of everything, but the universe and it's workings will care not a jot if we end up the cause of our own demise.

I have no compulsion to go back to the old "normal"

Last edited:
I don't think it'll ever be over for some people. We stopped for a pint on the way back from Accrington last night and the woman in the pub couldn't believe none of us had a face covering on. She must have cleaned the bogs about 5 times while we were there too.

Was watching John Campbell on YouTube. He assesses all data and gives daily updates on the state of play with covid. His latest video was interesting. Basically, Omicrom has almost wiped out delta. Says timescale wise a few weeks. Because Omicrom is so transmissible delta gets wiped out and Omicrom becomes the dominant variant. He said yes there will probably be more variants but there’s a slim to zero chance there will be one as transmissible as Omicrom, therefore it will always be seasonal variant. We’ve already built up an immunity to Omicrom and we’ll need to live with it.

Was watching John Campbell on YouTube. He assesses all data and gives daily updates on the state of play with covid. His latest video was interesting. Basically, Omicrom has almost wiped out delta. Says timescale wise a few weeks. Because Omicrom is so transmissible delta gets wiped out and Omicrom becomes the dominant variant. He said yes there will probably be more variants but there’s a slim to zero chance there will be one as transmissible as Omicrom, therefore it will always be seasonal variant. We’ve already built up an immunity to Omicrom and we’ll need to live with it.
I got laughed at when I said this in December :D

Back