Been going for 50 years - this is not our lowest ebb

I think you are way off there and not sure how you came to that conclusion. Donald has been pretty transparent throughout. If you just want to decide he is a liar so be it. I'll smile and you can scowl but I think you have misinterpreted events.
He’s transparent and I don’t believe he’s a liar. He’s just not a very good football chairman.

... by a long way. It is our lowest position but does not compare to the dark old days where we had dwindling crowds (sometime < 10k), a dilapidated ground and very real financial challenges.

The football has been awful over the years although we have had the thrill of many promotion and relegation battles.

There have been rare moments in the sun. Under Peter Reid, who was an underwhelming appointment at the time, we played attacking football and had a defined style.

More recently under BSA, who many did not want, we looked like a team and there was a pattern to our play, which was centred around getting the ball out of your half, tackle hard and track back. Other fans did not want to watch us, but we loved it so just shows results matter most.

The difference now is the potential due to the infrastructure (ground etc.) and the remarkable hard-core crowd of 30k. I would name a stand after Bob Murray, for putting the infrastructure in place. We have very real potential and the new owners recognise that and want to harness it, as they have regularly stated. I have no time for those who call them con-men. You would not con a company with 50000 people around the country ready to tear your head off. They genuinely want to push us forward, be it for the challenge, the journey (they do love their football), a chance to push a football club to the top, financial reward etc. They have listened to the fans (pink seats etc.) and are genuine football people, so we should support them. We should avoid criticising at every opportunity when they are trying to get our ‘basket case’ of a club in order. Some have no idea what challenges have been faced – it’s been pretty much a complete clearout.

Many will disagree, and football fans are by nature opinionated, but we should ‘support’ our club and spreading poison and unfounded insults under the guise of free speech can only have a negative effect. No-one is completely right so if you are going to spout negativity, keep it for the pub.

Fortunately our fans are much better socially than on social media.

reid was an underwhelming appointment?! He’d left Man City 5th 5th and 9th. I wasn’t underwhelmed at all and neither were my mates we were cock a hoop after the previous no marks

Better a well thought through post than some who just whine nee matter what ..people moaning about Parkinson because he wasn't " their choice " and stating they wont go anymore ...give the bloke a chance.
Things are not great but let's at least get behind the bloke in the hope he and the team can come good ..most will as usual
I'm 100% behind Parkinson but this is the lowest point in the clubs history and if people aren't happy they have a right to state their views.
reid was an underwhelming appointment?! He’d left Man City 5th 5th and 9th. I wasn’t underwhelmed at all and neither were my mates we were cock a hoop after the previous no marks
I think after Butcher many thought he might be another old England boy and we were hoping to get are own Keegan or Robson. But the majority of fans felt he was at least a good appointment that might keep us up and have us challenging at the top end of the First Division. Some probably thought that not even Ferguson, Dalglish or Graham could turn us around!

Last edited:
Possibly. My memory was he was playing after being player manager at man City and a bit of an unknown. Not the huge arrival like mcmenemy, the Messiah.

Utter shite. This is our lowest level. Killing you to admit it but it is!!!!

And a shit side languishing in the third tier. Problem is people keep wanting to compare us to the swindons and darlingtons of this world as a benchmark for shitness.

Fair point mate and can absolutely feel the frustration.
You won’t be down in these parts for long and you will find the right level.
Just close those eyes and ears on Monday night when you are in the hat with teams that have a village duck pond.
Could be worse and it will get better. Just beat that lot with the creosote fence in the cup.

Whilst I’m no happy clapper, I’m genuinely more positive than most HOWEVER, there’s no denying that from a purely footballing perspective (and as football fans that is our main interest), this IS our lowest ebb.
Here here
Fair point mate and can absolutely feel the frustration.
You won’t be down in these parts for long and you will find the right level.
Just close those eyes and ears on Monday night when you are in the hat with teams that have a village duck pond.
Could be worse and it will get better. Just beat that lot with the creosote fence in the cup.
Better off out the cup mate regardless

you watch Ipswich roll over

where has this myth that Peter Reid was an underwhelming appointment come from like? Before him we'd had Buxton, Butcher, Crosby and Smith. He was our most qualified and highest profile appointment for years.

Butcher was also high profile but under qualified and shit at the job!

I recall somebody at work asking me about the Reid appointment at the time. I said that it was ‘inspired’. I think I was being sarcastic but I pretended later that I meant it.

By far the lowest ebb this. Football in general is oversaturated and shit. People want results immediately these days making it even harder to do anything. A million miles behind where we want to be.

Its so depressing and really shit.

No money, chancers as owners who are trying to run us on a non league budget, poor choice of a manager, possibly an average league 1 team. This is the worst period in the history of our club.

How anyone can say this isn't the lowest ebb in our history is beyond me and yes, I was there during the dark days of the mid to late 80s but, due to finance not being anywhere near as prevalent between the top clubs and the rest as it is now, this is by far our lowest ebb.
Agree ^ it's all very well folk saying we're a big club, great stadium, best training facilities but it amounts to nowt really when you're stuck in this league.

Just support the team mate because the responses to your weepy post show you've made a real arse of yourself. You don't know how bad it has been going back 50 years because you clearly weren't around then.
When was the last time we were in the 3rd Division for at least 2 consecutive seasons, utterly unconvincing in our attempt to get out of it?
I’m sorry, but you don’t get to patronise people with that stuff about how bad it used to be. This is the worst team in our history and we are at our lowest standing in our history.
Anyone that’s supports us now has the right to claim future generations don’t understand how bad it used to be. Unless we happen to sink any lower, like.
How anyone can say this isn't the lowest ebb in our history is beyond me and yes, I was there during the dark days of the mid to late 80s but, due to finance not being anywhere near as prevalent between the top clubs and the rest as it is now, this is by far our lowest ebb.
It is. Of course it is.

Totally disagree,
At no time have we spent 2 seasons at this level, therefore we are at our lowest ebb with worst squad in our hishory, rocket science it is not.

where has this myth that Peter Reid was an underwhelming appointment come from like? Before him we'd had Buxton, Butcher, Crosby and Smith. He was our most qualified and highest profile appointment for years.

Butcher was also high profile but under qualified and shit at the job!
Reid had took City to 6th two years running iirc. Oh for such an underwhelming appt nowadays

Wycombe will be our first league game since Lincoln City out played us. We're 9th in League One and we have just appointed Phil Parkinson as our manager. Happy days eh!

... by a long way. It is our lowest position but does not compare to the dark old days where we had dwindling crowds (sometime < 10k), a dilapidated ground and very real financial challenges.

The football has been awful over the years although we have had the thrill of many promotion and relegation battles.

There have been rare moments in the sun. Under Peter Reid, who was an underwhelming appointment at the time, we played attacking football and had a defined style.

More recently under BSA, who many did not want, we looked like a team and there was a pattern to our play, which was centred around getting the ball out of your half, tackle hard and track back. Other fans did not want to watch us, but we loved it so just shows results matter most.

The difference now is the potential due to the infrastructure (ground etc.) and the remarkable hard-core crowd of 30k. I would name a stand after Bob Murray, for putting the infrastructure in place. We have very real potential and the new owners recognise that and want to harness it, as they have regularly stated. I have no time for those who call them con-men. You would not con a company with 50000 people around the country ready to tear your head off. They genuinely want to push us forward, be it for the challenge, the journey (they do love their football), a chance to push a football club to the top, financial reward etc. They have listened to the fans (pink seats etc.) and are genuine football people, so we should support them. We should avoid criticising at every opportunity when they are trying to get our ‘basket case’ of a club in order. Some have no idea what challenges have been faced – it’s been pretty much a complete clearout.

Many will disagree, and football fans are by nature opinionated, but we should ‘support’ our club and spreading poison and unfounded insults under the guise of free speech can only have a negative effect. No-one is completely right so if you are going to spout negativity, keep it for the pub.

Fortunately our fans are much better socially than on social media.

Bloody well said. It’s about time reasonable people with reasonable expectations stood up for our club and put down the local mafia who are trying to undermine everything this club does.

For the most part I have always just thought these people were frustrated with their lives and took it out on the club, now I truly believe there is a movement to undermine it. Be it media, mags or just the radicalised stabbing the club in the backseems to be a hobby for some.

Maybe there are some fans where it’s no more complicated than their poor little egos being hurt by being in this division that they have spat their dummies out.

Those who are genuine and find fault, they know nothing of what it takes to overhaul an organisation that was in the state this was .... and if they don’t have the experience neither do they have the intelligence to understand it.

I don’t advocate blind faith nor that we do not challenge the status quo, but let’s at least ensure we are showing respect to OUR club. At the end of the day the rantings on here are spineless because their destructive views are expressed hidden behind a mask, not something the owners or the club can do.

Arguably, but did the current Owners and staff put us here ....No!

Last edited:

Back