Been going for 50 years - this is not our lowest ebb

15pt season. Mcmenemy letdown. Both worse

No. Not saying we have had it worse than Palace although our stats over the last 10 years or so are remarkably bad
We playing two levels higher than we are now during the 15 point season. There is a huge difference between being scudded by Premier League sides and dossing in League One.

We got relegated under McMenemy due to a Play-Off, so relatively speaking the Grayson/Coleman season was worse. The McMenemy season was also followed by an immediate bounce back under Denis Smith and we were back in the top flight a few seasons later.

There is no precedent for the level of bad we are at now.

We playing two levels higher than we are now during the 15 point season. There is a huge difference between being scudded by Premier League sides and dossing in League One.

We got relegated under McMenemy due to a Play-Off, so relatively speaking the Grayson/Coleman season was worse. The McMenemy season was also followed by an immediate bounce back under Denis Smith and we were back in the top flight a few seasons later.

There is no precedent for the level of bad we are at now.
On the pitch yes. We are good off it. We have infrastructure and potential. There's been some grim times in the past, and thrse are as well, but I have hope.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeey heeeeeeeeeeeey!!!!!!!!!!! everythings git custie again, and we're not at our lowest ebb, gerrin lad..🤪

Utter shite. This is our lowest level. Killing you to admit it but it is!!!!
Now why would it 'killing' someone who saw their first game in 1969 and has religiously attended home games ever since, to acknowledge we are indeed at a historic low league standing; but lowest ebb ? Not even close.
As for you oh little keyboard warrior, get your face out of your mobile phone, dispense with the shots, get a couple of bottles of Double Maxim down your neck and go and cheer on the team you purport to support.

I wonder if our lowest ebb AS A CLUB and actually contributed to our very first relegation from the old First Division in the late 1950s was the financial scandal the Club was involved in regarding illegal payments? It was deeply shaming and embarrassing to the Club and I could just imagine the response if there had been such a thing as Social Media or Forums at that real low point in our history.

Just support the team mate because the responses to your weepy post show you've made a real arse of yourself. You don't know how bad it has been going back 50 years because you clearly weren't around then.

Come on mate, I've been going 35 years and this is our lowest ebb, of course it is. The majority of our players probably aren't second tier standard of which we have seen some shockers down the years.
We're further away from top flight football than we've been in our 140 year history.

On the pitch yes. We are good off it. We have infrastructure and potential. There's been some grim times in the past, and thrse are as well, but I have hope.
Are we?

I see a couple of chancers who set out to make a quick buck. Their plan didn’t work and now we’re lumbered with two people who are trying to offload the club for what they expected to make as a Championship club but failing that, don’t have a long term strategy to actually get us there.

Are we?

I see a couple of chancers who set out to make a quick buck. Their plan didn’t work and now we’re lumbered with two people who are trying to offload the club for what they expected to make as a Championship club but failing that, don’t have a long term strategy to actually get us there.
I think you are way off there and not sure how you came to that conclusion. Donald has been pretty transparent throughout. If you just want to decide he is a liar so be it. I'll smile and you can scowl but I think you have misinterpreted events.

Not quite. When we lost 2-0 at home to Chester in 1987, we'd won only 3 out of 9 and sat in 11th.

Give it another 30 hours though .....

I worked with a lad from Chester around 1992 who said he supported Sunderland. I asked him why and he said he was overawed by the fans and noise/atmosphere at that game.

Good OP post and probably right over a 50-year span, but we've been going a hell of a lot longer than that. My ald dad 87 knows his 40s-60s football very well and we were right up there in Div 1 in the 50's and previously always a prominent and successful team.....but back then we all had crappy little grounds with no facilities. I've watched the lads since the early 80's but the big turning point for many clubs was the introduction of the Premier league and the mega-money. Changed the game completely; no longer local lads playing for their local club, it's all about money and location. That surely has had an impact on SAFC as a club and the type of signings we've attracted, mainly from abroad. We'd never be many players first choice of club, but if the money was right it was good enough for some and boy have we been bitten badly in recent years. Things aint that bad, they ain't great, but in all honesty who actually thinks things will get worse? I don't, we've levelled out and at least have the quality and quantity to move forward.

I think you are way off there and not sure how you came to that conclusion. Donald has been pretty transparent throughout. If you just want to decide he is a liar so be it. I'll smile and you can scowl but I think you have misinterpreted events.
I’m not and I haven’t.

Basically, posters saying this isn’t our lowest ebb are basing that on their own opinion, how they personally feel, nothing more.
The absolute fact is that this is our lowest ebb right now. No matter what waffle is spouted, this cannot be denied.
The club has never, ever been down in this position before.

Looking for positives is fine, but resorting to hyperbole doesn’t strengthen the argument. It’s shit right now, hopefully Parkinson will get us promoted, and hopefully we’ll get the investment or takeover we all want.

Basically, posters saying this isn’t our lowest ebb are basing that on their own opinion, how they personally feel, nothing more.
The absolute fact is that this is our lowest ebb right now. No matter what waffle is spouted, this cannot be denied.

Looking for positives is fine, but resorting to hyperbole doesn’t strengthen the argument. It’s shit right now, hopefully Parkinson will get us promoted, and hopefully we’ll get the investment or takeover we all want.
Factually, in terms of league position, of course you are correct. I think the OP made some interesting points though.

where has this myth that Peter Reid was an underwhelming appointment come from like? Before him we'd had Buxton, Butcher, Crosby and Smith. He was our most qualified and highest profile appointment for years.

Butcher was also high profile but under qualified and shit at the job!

He’d taken City to 5th and 9th in the Premier League before he took over here.

I'm glad for them to be honest, the club would be knackered if everyone was fed up as some (me).

If they wish to be optimistic during the storm, so be it.

Maybe I'm wrong but does poster just appear on here when things are going bad and put a positive spin on things?
Better a well thought through post than some who just whine nee matter what ..people moaning about Parkinson because he wasn't " their choice " and stating they wont go anymore ...give the bloke a chance.
Things are not great but let's at least get behind the bloke in the hope he and the team can come good ..most will as usual

Back