Been going for 50 years - this is not our lowest ebb

Bloody well said. It’s about time reasonable people with reasonable expectations stood up for our club and put down the local mafia who are trying to undermine everything this club does.

For the most part I have always just thought these people were frustrated with their lives and took it out on the club, now I truly believe there is a movement to undermine it. Be it media, mags or just the radicalised stabbing the club in the backseems to be a hobby for some.

Maybe there are some fans where it’s no more complicated than their poor little egos being hurt by being in this division that they have spat their dummies out.

Those who are genuine and find fault, they know nothing of what it takes to overhaul an organisation that was in the state this was .... and if they don’t have the experience neither do they have the intelligence to understand it.

I don’t advocate blind faith nor that we do not challenge the status quo, but let’s at least ensure we are showing respect to OUR club. At the end of the day the rantings on here are spineless because their destructive views are expressed hidden behind a mask, not something the owners or the club can do.

Arguably, but did the current Owners and staff put us here ....No!

That's not what the thread is about. The OP said this is not our lowest ebb when it clearly is

The glazers are conning millions of fans worldwide, I'm pretty sure our current owners are capable of conning a large league 1 clubs fans

That's not what the thread is about. The OP said this is not our lowest ebb when it clearly is

thats a matter of opinion. The lowest ebb was when we crashed out of the championship in such debt we could be liquidated and with no hope.
There is plenty of hope now and we are financially sound, the football performance will follow.

... by a long way. It is our lowest position but does not compare to the dark old days where we had dwindling crowds (sometime < 10k), a dilapidated ground and very real financial challenges.

The football has been awful over the years although we have had the thrill of many promotion and relegation battles.

There have been rare moments in the sun. Under Peter Reid, who was an underwhelming appointment at the time, we played attacking football and had a defined style.

More recently under BSA, who many did not want, we looked like a team and there was a pattern to our play, which was centred around getting the ball out of your half, tackle hard and track back. Other fans did not want to watch us, but we loved it so just shows results matter most.

The difference now is the potential due to the infrastructure (ground etc.) and the remarkable hard-core crowd of 30k. I would name a stand after Bob Murray, for putting the infrastructure in place. We have very real potential and the new owners recognise that and want to harness it, as they have regularly stated. I have no time for those who call them con-men. You would not con a company with 50000 people around the country ready to tear your head off. They genuinely want to push us forward, be it for the challenge, the journey (they do love their football), a chance to push a football club to the top, financial reward etc. They have listened to the fans (pink seats etc.) and are genuine football people, so we should support them. We should avoid criticising at every opportunity when they are trying to get our ‘basket case’ of a club in order. Some have no idea what challenges have been faced – it’s been pretty much a complete clearout.

Many will disagree, and football fans are by nature opinionated, but we should ‘support’ our club and spreading poison and unfounded insults under the guise of free speech can only have a negative effect. No-one is completely right so if you are going to spout negativity, keep it for the pub.

Fortunately our fans are much better socially than on social media.

Fully concurred, great read and I can vouch for the dark dark days at Roker Park, we just need to get out of this league come what may and kick on from there.

Back