Been going for 50 years - this is not our lowest ebb

sinner

Midfield
... by a long way. It is our lowest position but does not compare to the dark old days where we had dwindling crowds (sometime < 10k), a dilapidated ground and very real financial challenges.

The football has been awful over the years although we have had the thrill of many promotion and relegation battles.

There have been rare moments in the sun. Under Peter Reid, who was an underwhelming appointment at the time, we played attacking football and had a defined style.

More recently under BSA, who many did not want, we looked like a team and there was a pattern to our play, which was centred around getting the ball out of your half, tackle hard and track back. Other fans did not want to watch us, but we loved it so just shows results matter most.

The difference now is the potential due to the infrastructure (ground etc.) and the remarkable hard-core crowd of 30k. I would name a stand after Bob Murray, for putting the infrastructure in place. We have very real potential and the new owners recognise that and want to harness it, as they have regularly stated. I have no time for those who call them con-men. You would not con a company with 50000 people around the country ready to tear your head off. They genuinely want to push us forward, be it for the challenge, the journey (they do love their football), a chance to push a football club to the top, financial reward etc. They have listened to the fans (pink seats etc.) and are genuine football people, so we should support them. We should avoid criticising at every opportunity when they are trying to get our ‘basket case’ of a club in order. Some have no idea what challenges have been faced – it’s been pretty much a complete clearout.

Many will disagree, and football fans are by nature opinionated, but we should ‘support’ our club and spreading poison and unfounded insults under the guise of free speech can only have a negative effect. No-one is completely right so if you are going to spout negativity, keep it for the pub.

Fortunately our fans are much better socially than on social media.

... by a long way. It is our lowest position but does not compare to the dark old days where we had dwindling crowds (sometime < 10k), a dilapidated ground and very real financial challenges.

The football has been awful over the years although we have had the thrill of many promotion and relegation battles.

There have been rare moments in the sun. Under Peter Reid, who was an underwhelming appointment at the time, we played attacking football and had a defined style.

More recently under BSA, who many did not want, we looked like a team and there was a pattern to our play, which was centred around getting the ball out of your half, tackle hard and track back. Other fans did not want to watch us, but we loved it so just shows results matter most.

The difference now is the potential due to the infrastructure (ground etc.) and the remarkable hard-core crowd of 30k. I would name a stand after Bob Murray, for putting the infrastructure in place. We have very real potential and the new owners recognise that and want to harness it, as they have regularly stated. I have no time for those who call them con-men. You would not con a company with 50000 people around the country ready to tear your head off. They genuinely want to push us forward, be it for the challenge, the journey (they do love their football), a chance to push a football club to the top, financial reward etc. They have listened to the fans (pink seats etc.) and are genuine football people, so we should support them. We should avoid criticising at every opportunity when they are trying to get our ‘basket case’ of a club in order. Some have no idea what challenges have been faced – it’s been pretty much a complete clearout.

Many will disagree, and football fans are by nature opinionated, but we should ‘support’ our club and spreading poison and unfounded insults under the guise of free speech can only have a negative effect. No-one is completely right so if you are going to spout negativity, keep it for the pub.

where has this myth that Peter Reid was an underwhelming appointment come from like? Before him we'd had Buxton, Butcher, Crosby and Smith. He was our most qualified and highest profile appointment for years.

Butcher was also high profile but under qualified and shit at the job!

Footballing wise and factually on the pitch which all that really matter we are at our lowest ebb.

where has this myth that Peter Reid was an underwhelming appointment come from like? Before him we'd had Buxton, Butcher, Crosby and Smith. He was our most qualified and highest profile appointment for years.

It’s complete made up bollix, he was a great appointment and a bit of a coup for the club at the time.

BSA's system was definitely defence based and aimed at getting the ball forward quickly and hitting on the break (often with a long ball, but I wouldn't say it was hoof ball).

Despite being built around defending I actually think we played some quite exciting and entertaining football under him and it definitely got results. It wasn't negative football and we weren't frightened to attack in numbers and push up when we had the ball. One clear thing was that the defending started in the midfield as well.

If PP can implement a similar system it could work. My only concern is this sort of system probably works better when you are under pressure (like we were in the Premier League), but might not work so well when you are the dominant team (which we should be in L1)

McMenemy era was worse for me, christ you think the football is bad now, grim times.

It was awful without doubt but this current lot are exceeding that shiteness considerably. The team that was relegated with Coleman and Grayson in charge was worse than the shite McMenemy managed to produce never mind what we are watching now.

Spot on..

Agreed with most he said but i remember being excited by Reid's appointment.

Remember chatting to a
man u supporter at the time and he agreed he thought he'd do well.

BSA's system was definitely defence based and aimed at getting the ball forward quickly and hitting on the break (often with a long ball, but I wouldn't say it was hoof ball).

Despite being built around defending I actually think we played some quite exciting and entertaining football under him and it definitely got results. It wasn't negative football and we weren't frightened to attack in numbers and push up when we had the ball. One clear thing was that the defending started in the midfield as well.

If PP can implement a similar system it could work. My only concern is this sort of system probably works better when you are under pressure (like we were in the Premier League), but might not work so well when you are the dominant team (which we should be in L1)
That Norwich away game was like Leicester when they won the league. It was exciting to watch.

Some knacker mentioned it the other day. Was shot down by a good few

Back