Been a tough week

offshore

Midfield
Tuesday night mam rings to say dad's fell over in the house again ( Parkinsons) only to find him dead on the floor 5 mins after the call. So instinct kicks in and I start working on him as I tell her to ring an ambulance. So I continue for about 10 minutes and I get a response all be it a small one a response. I continue till the ambulance crew turned up. They take over and I still have to do cpr until another crew come. They give him adrenaline and for the first time in about 30 mins he' breathing on his own all be it not very good! They get him in the ambulance and I go with the fast car response woman to a&e. After about 20 mins of being in there I get called into a room to be told he died again in the ambulance and he's been rushed up to iccu. Another 40 mins or so they take us up to be told they have gave him drugs to put him under and is ventilated to help him breath. Doctor says come back tomorrow and we will know more, so me and mam go home (around 3.30am) Wednesday comes and my brothers come up from Kent and we go in to see him. Not a good sight as he's having some sort of fitting thing every few seconds. Doctor takes us down to a room and says well sorry but it looks like he's got massive brain damage from lack of oxygen but they won' know more till 24hrs when they take him off the drugs and try and wake him up... now Thursday and we get there for 12 and doctor says they stopped the drugs and he didn' respond so what do you want to do!!!! It's never a question i thought i would be asked so we said he would never want to be alive as a vegetable so turn it off. Fuck me it was the worst thing I've ever seen someone you love die infront of you!!!! Heart breaking is not the word. I feel like shit for bringing him back and putting him through 48thr of hell.. I just can' stop seeing him on the floor...sorry to go on but I need to tell someone.

Sounds like you did a hell of a job to give him that last chance of pulling through, but sadly it just wasn't to be. I know it's hard, but try to replace the picture in your head with others of him when he was with the family, doing his hobbies, screaming at the lads from the terraces, or even just sitting quietly with a pint or a book in a peaceful place.

And smile back at the happy memories you shared while he was around.

Tuesday night mam rings to say dad's fell over in the house again ( Parkinsons) only to find him dead on the floor 5 mins after the call. So instinct kicks in and I start working on him as I tell her to ring an ambulance. So I continue for about 10 minutes and I get a response all be it a small one a response. I continue till the ambulance crew turned up. They take over and I still have to do cpr until another crew come. They give him adrenaline and for the first time in about 30 mins he' breathing on his own all be it not very good! They get him in the ambulance and I go with the fast car response woman to a&e. After about 20 mins of being in there I get called into a room to be told he died again in the ambulance and he's been rushed up to iccu. Another 40 mins or so they take us up to be told they have gave him drugs to put him under and is ventilated to help him breath. Doctor says come back tomorrow and we will know more, so me and mam go home (around 3.30am) Wednesday comes and my brothers come up from Kent and we go in to see him. Not a good sight as he's having some sort of fitting thing every few seconds. Doctor takes us down to a room and says well sorry but it looks like he's got massive brain damage from lack of oxygen but they won' know more till 24hrs when they take him off the drugs and try and wake him up... now Thursday and we get there for 12 and doctor says they stopped the drugs and he didn' respond so what do you want to do!!!! It's never a question i thought i would be asked so we said he would never want to be alive as a vegetable so turn it off. Fuck me it was the worst thing I've ever seen someone you love die infront of you!!!! Heart breaking is not the word. I feel like shit for bringing him back and putting him through 48thr of hell.. I just can' stop seeing him on the floor...sorry to go on but I need to tell someone.
You did everything you could to try and save your Dad. Don't feel remorse, mate. You did the right thing.

Tragic story. Sorry for your loss.

Christ that sounds horrendous. No words really except how very sorry I am to hear it.

Awful mate and a big shock for all. Ultimately the body makes its own final choices and you did all you could to keep your dad's choices available for as long as possible . Well done mate you couldn't have done more and I 'm sure your family are very proud and grateful for the way you acted .
It might take a few weeks to get over , if it's still intrusive after 6 weeks or so ( disturbing sleep , feeling on edge etc) get to talk to a professional sharp .
All the best .

Back