Bee issue

Daughter found a dying bumble bee in the garden last night. They tried to feed it some sugar water and left it in our insect house box. Checked on it last night and it wasn't moving, so I tried to give it more water - still didn't seem too clever though.
In the end, I took it round the front and carefully placed it on an open flower on our strawberry plant. It was hanging onto it, but not doing much else.
Had a check just before lunch, and there it was, moving around freely - 10 mins later after I got back from the shop, it was gone.

:cool:
Bumblebees are class. They stick their middle leg out as a warning before they will sting.
If they haven't made it home before the sun goes down they can't navigate back to their nest. They can often be seen aroudn dusk looking for a little hole in the verge to camp out for the night, then they fly back first thing in the morning.

Bumblebees are class. They stick their middle leg out as a warning before they will sting.
If they haven't made it home before the sun goes down they can't navigate back to their nest. They can often be seen aroudn dusk looking for a little hole in the verge to camp out for the night, then they fly back first thing in the morning.
Gonna be like the masses at trafalgar tonight 🤣

I’m setting up a solitary bee hive in our garden this afternoon.

I didn’t realise that you take the hive indoors over the winter.
I can’t seem to paste a link from Amazon.

Last edited:
I like bees.

But I don’t want thousands of them inside my house.

You can buy a dummy hive. We hung one on our garden shed and the ones who were nesting in the shed decided to leave with no harm done.

I like bees.

But I don’t want thousands of them inside my house.

You can buy a dummy hive. We hung one on our garden shed and the ones who were nesting in the shed decided to leave with no harm done.
You can also site bee hives outside, in fact most people do. ;)

When a bumble bee lands or flies near a flower they buzz in the tone of middle c. This stimulates the flower to open its petals and explosively release pollen - thus enabling reproduction as the bees, after collecting nectar from the opened flower proceeds to the next one with an arse covered in pollen.

They can unhinge their wings from their wing muscles and vibrate their bodies, which causes the buzzing. But it won’t work unless it’s in the tone of middle c.

Music and Nature combined

When a bumble bee lands or flies near a flower they buzz in the tone of middle c. This stimulates the flower to open its petals and explosively release pollen - thus enabling reproduction as the bees, after collecting nectar from the opened flower proceeds to the next one with an arse covered in pollen.

They can unhinge their wings from their wing muscles and vibrate their bodies, which causes the buzzing. But it won’t work unless it’s in the tone of middle c.

Music and Nature combined
It's not a coincidence that honey and money rhyme. When the missus wants some money she buzzes the middle c etc. etc. resulting in me emptying...oh nevermind.

If anyone is interested, I kept the solitary bee hive within a mesh bag in the garage over winter.

I re-positioned it outside earlier this month and when it’s sunny there are quite a few bees around the hive.

I assume that they clean out the nesting holes that were capped off with mud, then lay more eggs?

Should I clean the holes/tubes next winter?

Back