Bed-Blockers

Sam Handwich

Striker
Been reliably informed that a well known hospital around these parts has had almost 100 beds freed up by people who now longer feel that they need to be hospitalised.
What on earth could have prompted them, after years of taking up vital hospital space, time and resources, these people have suddenly "got better". Its a miracle, i tell you.

Been reliably informed that a well known hospital around these parts has had almost 100 beds freed up by people who now longer feel that they need to be hospitalised.
What on earth could have prompted them, after years of taking up vital hospital space, time and resources, these people have suddenly "got better". Its a miracle, i tell you.
Or promised benefits for life

A lot of bed blockers aren’t there by choice FWIW.

Not many people choose or are allowed to stay in hospitals for long once deemed clinically fit and those that do still get discharged at some point. The extra capacity will be because discharge has been prioritised and places are available that wouldn’t have been considered by social care or ccg’s on basis of cost but are now considered a better use of funds because the beds are critically required.

Not many people choose or are allowed to stay in hospitals for long once deemed clinically fit and those that do still get discharged at some point. The extra capacity will be because discharge has been prioritised and places are available that wouldn’t have been considered by social care or ccg’s on basis of cost but are now considered a better use of funds because the beds are critically required.
where you getting this from? the op was reliably informed iirc. sounds very suspicious imo mate, needs investigating and the unnecessary bed blockers and their enablers need punishing.

A lot of bed blockers aren’t there by choice FWIW.
Exactly, most are usually awaiting after care, care packages or care placements. They most likely haven't "got better". If it's a decision that a patient has made they've likely thought that the risk of contracting Covid-19 and dying is more than the risk of going home without a full care package that they've been assessed as needing.

I know in South Tyneside there is currently very little available for new care packages, many are going out to brokerage and nobody is taking them up.

Yup. My grandma spent weeks (maybe even over a month) in hospital when well enough to be discharged. Long story short is they were only happy to discharge to temporary care home where she could have physio, but there were no spaces. She was stuck in hospital for weeks waiting. It was shit for her & shit for the NHS.

I read somewhere the other day that nurses were on about how this crisis has seen A&E's be almost empty for the first time in years, and if people behaved in this way under normal circumstances (as in not turn to hospitals for every little thing) then the NHS would be in a lot better state today than in currently is. Definitely some truth in it, lots tbh

I read somewhere the other day that nurses were on about how this crisis has seen A&E's be almost empty for the first time in years, and if people behaved in this way under normal circumstances (as in not turn to hospitals for every little thing) then the NHS would be in a lot better state today than in currently is. Definitely some truth in it, lots tbh
True but also reports of people avoiding A and E that really need it and that this will probably lead to unnecessary deaths.

True but also reports of people avoiding A and E that really need it and that this will probably lead to unnecessary deaths.
Aye there's got to be a happy medium, hard to find at the minute though. And when things go back to normal, all the fannies will ram A&E and doctors surgeries again etc...

Was a medic on any answers on R4 yesterday saying that those who have recovered from cv19 are blocking beds as they are well enough to be discharged but nowhere to discharge them to......should re open and use hotels maybe

Won't it just be discharging non urgent cases by the hospital?
No mate, people just have to turn to the doctor and say “I demand to stay here forever” and that’s how you get a free hospital bed for life. I read it online so it must be true.
One of the positive things I’ve seen is that cases of norovirus are almost zero because so many people are now washing their hands more.

And no amateur sports at moment - I've spent many weekends and training nights in A & E with my lads
And pissed up arseholes. Every time I’ve been to A and E with injuries I dreaded the Saturday night/Sunday morning times.

And pissed up arseholes. Every time I’ve been to A and E with injuries I dreaded the Saturday night/Sunday morning times.
And those who have just been arrested - common practice for perps to say they have taken an overdose or something along those lines so that they don't go to the cells straight away

They aren't coming in anymore to be sent home quickly, they are staying well clear. We have patients who come in to hospital quite regularly, so often you know them by name and we aren't seeing any of them come in all of a sudden.

Or people are not going out getting tanked up and require hospital attention.

They aren't coming in anymore to be sent home quickly, they are staying well clear. We have patients who come in to hospital quite regularly, so often you know them by name and we aren't seeing any of them come in all of a sudden.
I imagine frequent flyers as they’re sometimes referred to will be a bit less inclined to just rock up.

Back