Beatles "Get Back' film

On the wireless today they mentioned it was 8 hours in total. Thought it was 3 2 hour episodes.

Any info?

Petridis confirming what we thought, Jackson does to the Beatles what he did the lord of the rings return of the king…

Petridis confirming what we thought, Jackson does to the Beatles what he did the lord of the rings return of the king…
Petridis is and always has been a massive f***ing bellend so I’ll take what he has written with a large pinch of salt.

Overall marks out of 10?
A hard one. I am interested in it all so am biased. Some of the insertions were clunky - blending their jam on Rock And Roll Music with the record, an unecessary prelude giving the rise of The Beatles, describing the satirical 'No Pakistanis' version of Get Back as a protest song elevates an easily misinterpreted skit. Anyone not that interested in The Beatles or in rock bands jamming into the songs won't be converted..

On the positive side it captures a band still having a laugh and pulling together new songs - Get Back seems to start out of nothing - whilst disintegrating at the same time. I thought there was a danger that the tensions would be left on the cutting room floor but is warts and all. They have a natural connection and there are some some great scenes of John and Paul on a vibe together. Yoko sits impassively, a study in stillness most of the time. George is contributing ideas and seems to have been writing a song a night but isn't getting much reaction, he is the realist too and tethers the more ridiculous - it's a bit sad to hear him being apologetic about having loads of slow songs, whilst making sure they don't get wasted in half hearted or incomplete recordings. Ringo just seems to fit into anything whilst being pretty cool about everything. The first episode covers the most difficult days of the filming before Billy Preston and ends with George quitting.

Mal Evans is ever present, writing the words of songs down for Paul - closer than Yoko to John at times. Knowing his sad demise you can tell how much he would miss his role with the band, leaving him rudderless.

Michael Lindsay Hogg sounds hilarious trying to get them to decide how and where to finish the film. Dick James trying to infratiate himself with Paul is toe curling

I'm looking forward to the rest - I always loved Let It Be because it was great seeing them playing together and wish they would release that again.

As a fan, probably an 8. The brightening of the film and improvement in the sound is a big plus. For the general viewer it is too much and too deep into the bandlore to truly appeal on such a scale, for that it would need to be much shorter with a few cheery scenes and the rooftop gig. Sorry, I have rambled!

A hard one. I am interested in it all so am biased. Some of the insertions were clunky - blending their jam on Rock And Roll Music with the record, an unecessary prelude giving the rise of The Beatles, describing the satirical 'No Pakistanis' version of Get Back as a protest song elevates an easily misinterpreted skit. Anyone not that interested in The Beatles or in rock bands jamming into the songs won't be converted..

On the positive side it captures a band still having a laugh and pulling together new songs - Get Back seems to start out of nothing - whilst disintegrating at the same time. I thought there was a danger that the tensions would be left on the cutting room floor but is warts and all. They have a natural connection and there are some some great scenes of John and Paul on a vibe together. Yoko sits impassively, a study in stillness most of the time. George is contributing ideas and seems to have been writing a song a night but isn't getting much reaction, he is the realist too and tethers the more ridiculous - it's a bit sad to hear him being apologetic about having loads of slow songs, whilst making sure they don't get wasted in half hearted or incomplete recordings. Ringo just seems to fit into anything whilst being pretty cool about everything. The first episode covers the most difficult days of the filming before Billy Preston and ends with George quitting.

Mal Evans is ever present, writing the words of songs down for Paul - closer than Yoko to John at times. Knowing his sad demise you can tell how much he would miss his role with the band, leaving him rudderless.

Michael Lindsay Hogg sounds hilarious trying to get them to decide how and where to finish the film. Dick James trying to infratiate himself with Paul is toe curling

I'm looking forward to the rest - I always loved Let It Be because it was great seeing them playing together and wish they would release that again.

As a fan, probably an 8. The brightening of the film and improvement in the sound is a big plus. For the general viewer it is too much and too deep into the bandlore to truly appeal on such a scale, for that it would need to be much shorter with a few cheery scenes and the rooftop gig. Sorry, I have rambled!
Thanks for that. I'll be gorging myself on Saturday.

Second episode has a totally different atmosphere.. John is properly engaged and the songs cone together. The arrival of Billy Preston really does give them a buzz

Petridis has totally missed the point. It has a narrative and is really quite riviitting stuff. I am a Beatles nut but my wife is far less so and she loved it. Its anything but aimless. It is telling a story of the most celebrated band ever and telling it in a way that you can work out yourself and see the struggles, frustrations and also the joy of it. Having read that piece I would say he's just missed the point and its a shame for the lad. I can't wait for episode 2.

Have you changed your mind re.yesterday or feel the same?

Reassessment?
I think it is more generally accessible and much more of an upbeat vibe, just very different, and you can see it's heading somewhere. The long reported change in the mood from Twickenham to Apple is really evident because the film is chronological I look forward to your thoughts once you have seen it.

Back