Beatles "Get Back' film

Petridis has totally missed the point. It has a narrative and is really quite riviitting stuff. I am a Beatles nut but my wife is far less so and she loved it. Its anything but aimless. It is telling a story of the most celebrated band ever and telling it in a way that you can work out yourself and see the struggles, frustrations and also the joy of it. Having read that piece I would say he's just missed the point and its a shame for the lad. I can't wait for episode 2.
I wonder if all the latter albums were the same or was this one particularly unique?

I think it is more generally accessible and much more of an upbeat vibe, just very different, and you can see it's heading somewhere. The long reported change in the mood from Twickenham to Apple is really evident because the film is chronological I look forward to your thoughts once you have seen it.
I can't wait. I know that John complained about Twickenham being cold and trying to make music at 9 o'clock in the morning with cameras pointing at you. It was cavernous and in January! Apple was a much better idea.

Any idea why they never recorded it at Abbey Road? Can't say I've ever asked the question before.

Last edited:

I wonder if all the latter albums were the same or was this one particularly unique?
Interesting that Ringo walked out during the White Album because he felt he contributed little. You can see he just has to sit about and wait. It's clearly tough for George but when you're in a band that has written the songs of Lennon and McCartney it's difficult to see how it would be otherwise.

Interesting that Ringo walked out during the White Album because he felt he contributed little. You can see he just has to sit about and wait. It's clearly tough for George but when you're in a band that has written the songs of Lennon and McCartney it's difficult to see how it would be otherwise.
Indeed. How could you compete with that!

Not sure why they just didn't take a break from each other and reconvene in say 1972 to see how they then felt about carrying on.

Maybe their relationships were just too intense.

I can't wait. I know that John complained about Twickenham being cold and trying to make music at 9 o'clock in the morning with cameras pointing at you. It was cavernous and in January! Apple was a much better idea.

Any idea why they never recorded it at Abbey Road? Can't say I've ever asked the question before.
The idea was to get out of the studio/album rut and film the lead up and rehearsals for a live performance somewhere and a film studio probably suited the film maker with space for cameras etc. Day 1 and George says the sound is crap. John was definitely out of it at Twickenham

Indeed. How could you compete with that!

Not sure why they just didn't take a break from each other and reconvene in say 1972 to see how they then felt about carrying on.

Maybe their relationships were just too intense.
Interesting it was after this that George suggested that they take time out and do their solo stuff and then come back an do Beatles stuff. I think that Allen Klein came in and took control was something that Paul just couldn't accept - they had been warned by Mick Jagger that he was a wrong 'un. Later they acknowleged that Paul had been right. However, it may a good thing - Abbey Road was their last recorded album and one of their best. If they'd done as you and George suggested they may have kept all their best stuff for their solo stuff and the quality of the Beatles stuff may have dropped and they may not be revered as they are today.

Back