Beat Street

I was too young for the breaking scene, wish I could have gone to clubs and stuff and watched people doing it.

Like I say i was only 8 or so in 1984 and used to just have a sheet of lino and do it at the bottom of our street or in someone's garage:lol:

Yeah we used to do that. Used to have the basic songs like Tour De France, Axel F, Whitelines, Electro 1, 2, 3 etc... New York vs LA Beats and all that lot blasting out from the tape deck on the Ghetto Blaster. When I started going to Hitsville USA in Newcastle and buying all the American imports it opened my eyes to everything coming over from New York and LA. Some great stuff.

I remember Saturday afternoons at The Ritzy was where all the breakers went. It wasn't called The Ritzy then was it? What was it called again? Was it Tiffs? Tiffanys? That rings a bell like. I used to love it. Kappa tracksuits and trainers with thick luminous laces in. We used to carry the spraycans in an old works havasack and knock up the pieces, ducking down and hiding everytime a metro went past. Quality
Yeah it was Tiffanys.
Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

I have quite a few photos of Tiffs on my computer, like the ones posted above.

The Ritz was the name of the Breakdance afternoon put on at Gen's in Sunderland.

Aye get it watched Birdy, it's got bits about the graffiti in as well
Will do mate.:)

Yeah we used to do that. Used to have the basic songs like Tour De France, Axel F, Whitelines, Electro 1, 2, 3 etc... New York vs LA Beats and all that lot blasting out from the tape deck on the Ghetto Blaster. When I started going to Hitsville USA in Newcastle and buying all the American imports it opened my eyes to everything coming over from New York and LA. Some great stuff.
Aye, got loads of my records from there. Still got them and still play them.:)

I remember playing this over and over on my little cassette recorder :lol:

Just been down a YouTube 80s hip hop worm hole on the back of that listening to some classic old tunes. Ice-T - Reckless. classic.

This is a fantastic song, although it was not in that film.

Turbo AKA Boogaloo Shrimp is an absolute legend.

This is a fantastic song, although it was not in that film.

Theres a song from that era ive been looking for for years. I cant remember what its called and I cant describe it either cos its just a tune in my head and few lyrics that don't even make sense. I think it was from an Electro album but I've been through them all and cant find it. So annoying.

Last edited:
Just been down a YouTube 80s hip hop worm hole on the back of that listening to some classic old tunes. Ice-T - Reckless

After I started this thread last night that's what I did, loads of you tube.

Listened to electro 9, electro 13 then I listened to ice Ts power album. Used to love that.

Then a bit method man and gravediggaz for the newer stuff.

I Think it's bizarre when people refer to mid 90s stuff as old skool hip hop.

For me the old skool stuff is the early electros and beat street and kool herc and stuff

After I started this thread last night that's what I did, loads of you tube.

Listened to electro 9, electro 13 then I listened to ice Ts power album. Used to love that.

Then a bit method man and gravediggaz for the newer stuff.

I Think it's bizarre when people refer to mid 90s stuff as old skool hip hop.

For me the old skool stuff is the early electros and beat street and kool herc and stuff

Mint that, im gonna do the same tonight. Just listening to this now, an old favourite.

Just been down a YouTube 80s hip hop worm hole on the back of that listening to some classic old tunes. Ice-T - Reckless. classic.

Turbo AKA Boogaloo Shrimp is an absolute legend.

Theres a song from that era ive been looking for for years. I cant remember what its called and I cant describe it either cos its just a tune in my head and few lyrics that don't even make sense. I think it was from an Electro album but I've been through them all and cant find it. So annoying.
This beauty?

or this lethal track?

:cool:

I'm sure a few of them pieces on bdb feature in subway art?

Midg and Dondi look familliar

Ouster Lizzie at the end is in

Don't have the book to hand but just googled some images and quite a few are

Going to have to dig them 2 books out again love them

Last edited:

Back