Beat Street

A good old classic hip hop movie. Any fans?

Touching movie, like an early boys in the hood

Love it this time of year with the dougie fresh santa a rap.

Yeah, its a classic. The burn at the Roxy with the Rock Steady Crew and the New York City Breakers is a classic from the times. Love the Hip Hop culture from the early 80s. You wanna watch Style Wars on YouTube for a great documentary on New York graffiti in the early 80s. Used to do some pieces and bombing up here on the Metro around that time myself. If you like the graffiti side of it, theres some class books called Subway Art and Spraycan Art too.

Yeah, its a classic. The burn at the Roxy with the Rock Steady Crew and the New York City Breakers is a classic from the times. Love the Hip Hop culture from the early 80s. You wanna watch Style Wars on YouTube for a great documentary on New York graffiti in the early 80s. Used to do some pieces and bombing up here on the Metro around that time myself. If you like the graffiti side of it, theres some class books called Subway Art and Spraycan Art too.
Yeah, same here. I also have them books.:)

Yeah, same here. I also have them books.:)

Do you remember "The 3rd team" up here. Some of their stuff was tremendous. I remember going to a legal graffiti day in York once too where we all had a wall in an underground car park. Id love to know if its still there, but was great going round talking to all the crews and seeing everyone doing their work. We were called The SCB (Suburban City Bombers) and my tag was "AERO". Hahaha. Looking back now I don't know how we got away with it. Tremendous times though. We used to bomb the line between Tynemouth and Byker and also the wall outside the tunnel as you head from Central Station to Gateshead.

Last edited:
Aye got them 2 books also. Think a mate of mine knicked them from a library for me:lol:

Got an old break dance annual as well :lol:

This one, got it for Christmas when I was about 7 or 8
Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Do you remember "The 3rd team" up here. Some of their stuff was tremendous. I remember going to a legal graffiti day in York once too where we all had a wall in an underground car park. Id love to know if its still there, but was great going round talking to all the crews and seeing everyone doing their work. We were called The SCB (Suburban City Bombers) and my tag was "AERO". Hahaha. Looking back now I don't know how we got away with it. Tremendous times though. We used to bomb the line between Tynemouth and Byker and also the wall outside the tunnel as you head from Central Station to Gateshead.
I remember some of the graffitis and tags, AERO rings a bell.:) My tag was 'Speedy 64'. I got the name Speedy from all of the Newcastle Break Dance crews because I was fast as fuck on the floor.:)
I loved going out with a bag of Spray cans and knocking up pieces.:)

Aye got them 2 books also. Think a mate of mine knicked them from a library for me:lol:

Got an old break dance annual as well :lol:

This one, got it for Christmas when I was about 7 or 8
Logon or register to see this image
Class!:lol:
My mate got the Beat Street tape cassette from the library, and swapped the cassette reels with a blank cassette and returned it.:lol:

Last edited:
I was about 12, 13 at the time in 88 89 and used to travel up on the train to heworth and newcastle to look at the pieces along the train lines.

We did one in pelaw youth centre when they let you turn up with paint and do stuff.

A couple of older lads from near me used to go under the name NME and had a couple of run ins with the football NME lads by all accounts while painting

I've still got my audio cassette of beatstreet soundtrack.

Last edited:
I remember some of the graffitis and tags, AERO rings a bell.:) My tag was 'Speedy 64'. I got the name Speedy from all of the Newcastle Break Dance crews because I was fast as fuck on the floor.:)
I loved going out with a bag of Spray cans and knocking up pieces.:)

I remember Saturday afternoons at The Ritzy was where all the breakers went. It wasn't called The Ritzy then was it? What was it called again? Was it Tiffs? Tiffanys? That rings a bell like. I used to love it. Kappa tracksuits and trainers with thick luminous laces in. We used to carry the spraycans in an old works havasack and knock up the pieces, ducking down and hiding everytime a metro went past. Quality

I was too young for the breaking scene, wish I could have gone to clubs and stuff and watched people doing it.

Like I say i was only 8 or so in 1984 and used to just have a sheet of lino and do it at the bottom of our street or in someone's garage:lol:

Back