Beales in Hexham shutting

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Shandy drinker, Apr 15, 2019 at 10:58 PM.

1. Bastard auto correct

Beales man Beales
    Mods I've asked before change edit function so you can edit the thread title. Get it sorted man

old joplings/ robs shop
    Would be paying more in rates than rent
    Economics of the mad house
    Now no rates when it shuts
    Companies should be able to go into cva claiming business rates need reducing
    Whole system needs to be revamped by the government
    It stinks and with parking is killing the high street while Internet and out of town seem to be given a free ride
    This charging scheme being proposed by out friends in the north will be a further nail in the high atreet and town centres
    Why isn't metro centre being covered by a road charging scheme similar to that proposed by Gateshead, Newcastle and north Tyneside considering vat majority who go there travel by car

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:00 PM
    lurker likes this.
  2. EDGE

EDGE Winger

vat majority? Another 20%? Sounds good to me like.

3. Kevj

Kevj Striker

Bad news for that town. It’s been in decline and a closure of such a significant shop will mean even less of a draw for shoppers.

4. zwartekat

zwartekat Striker

Seems department stores are particularly vulnerable.

5. Superchamps

Superchamps Central Defender

The Beales I’ve been in are pretty run down and full of stuff no one wants on permanent sale, £15 potato peelers reduced to £14.50, £40 Royal Doulton gravy boats down to £38.

6. mcq10

mcq10 Striker

Capitalism in action.

Supply and demand etc

7. hefty em

hefty em Striker

Ill take a potato peeler and 2 gravy boats please.

8. CollingwoodFTM

CollingwoodFTM Striker

It’ll always be Robbs to me. Used to get my Airfix models from the toy department and got a Sunderland Stokoe’s Stars patch from the sports department. Me Mam used to leave me up there whilst she did the weekly shop down in the foodhall. It’ll be sad to see it go, but looked very run down last time I was in.

Bladecat and KarenDent like this.
  9. lurker

lurker Striker

If true about the rates the council need to give their heads a shake

10. Paddy O'Dors

Paddy O'Dors Striker

There's an out of town shopping centre near me that's got two massive empty shops where a Toys-R-Us and Homebase used to be. Nonsense to say out of town shopping centres aren't suffering too.

11. I Stand Alone

I Stand Alone Midfield

Central government set rates. Some have trebled in the last 3-4 years.

lurker likes this.
  12. Paddy O'Dors

Paddy O'Dors Striker

You can hoy in NMW/NLW increases that have been way above inflation for the last few years too in a sector where pay is usually the bare minimum.

13. Goat Eyes

Goat Eyes Striker

Hoy in businesses that have stagnated for years and it’s only going one way.

Debenhams charge you £2 to collect stuff from in store.

14. HABA87

HABA87 Winger

The target market of final salary pensioners already have their £40 gravy boats. The next generation are priced out. The world has changed.

The rates are ridiculous mind.

15. kingmonkey

kingmonkey Winger

Been on the cards for a while.
    Never anyone in at all and doesn't seem to have changed since the 1970s.
    Shame for the staff, canny few working there, not many other options in Hexham.

The town is dead these days, who would have thought that a big tesco and next store would kill the town. :rolleyes:
    Same as lots of small towns, high rent, low footfall, but we buy online so can't complain when local shops go under.

16. Superchamps

Superchamps Central Defender

That will be £90.50, would you like to take a £35 pillow? It’s discounted to £32.50.