BBQ tips

Weber gas BBQ every single time.
I've three BBQs. A weber kettle which is great but the convenience of gas wins every time. I cook on the bbq most nights.
I've had a weber Q for the past 10 years and they are superb. But have a Spirit 2 as well and it's a brilliant bbq. Can get loads on it. Cooked a turkey for Xmas on it.

Weber gas BBQ every single time.
I've three BBQs. A weber kettle which is great but the convenience of gas wins every time. I cook on the bbq most nights.
I've had a weber Q for the past 10 years and they are superb. But have a Spirit 2 as well and it's a brilliant bbq. Can get loads on it. Cooked a turkey for Xmas on it.
I had a webber q. They're are excellent, no question.

But if you're wanting to smoke meats, then nothing beats real coals of course.

Couldn't afford a Weber, so bought a Broil King 5 years ago. Still going strong having sat outside under a cover all its life. Can't fault it - brilliant for cooking big lumps of meat like leg of lamb. Nowhere near as good a a camacho but one fifth of the price

I had a webber q. They're are excellent, no question.

But if you're wanting to smoke meats, then nothing beats real coals of course.
Not going to disagree. I have both. But you can get superb results on gas too. Its the convenience that wins. I cook on it all the time.

I got a one from asda and love it, 3 burners and a side burner for pans

Love gas bbq me, the snobs won't like it but 10 min to heat up wins for me.

In the summer I have breakfast, dinner and supper on it, no f***ing on waiting an hour for the coals to burn down.

Get smoking chips if you want a bbq taste ona gas one

Got this one a few years back and it's spot on, https://www.argos.co.uk/product/5981887

Get the instant light bags and just fire it up when needed, can get loads on it or just use one side for less. Comes with a cover too, so sorted through winter (mines just left outside).

Top tip is clean the bugger before putting it away but I never do. Always just wait till the next batch of good weather comes and then spend 30 minutes cleaning and swearing at myself for not cleaning it beforehand!

Last edited:
Weber genesis 2 here. Gets used 3 out of 7 days I reckon. Bought the rotisserie thing and had the Xmas capon on it. For ease of use it's superb. If you want a one off the weber kettle thing is good. As is the big green egg.

Classic mistake is to have the meat too close to the hot coals. Needs to be far away so the food cooks steadily. Rather than raw on the inside and burnt on the outside, far better to have it evenly cooked throughout.

About 7 years ago I used to work with a South African who cooked steak on a BBQ pretty much every day of the year here in The UK. He regarded pork and chicken to be vegetables and only wanted “proper meat”. I’m going to check in the morning whether he is still alive.

Last edited:
Get something that uses solid fuel, gas isn't a BBQ, it's an oven. A gas BBQ is pointless in my opinion, you might as well just cook everything indoors and bring it outside.

My gas bbq is good but next house I think I’ll go all out on a top quality coal bbq. Went for gas originally because of the convenience of when we decide at the last minute we fancy a barbie and it’s going instantly.

I still use mine occasionally but only for smoking as can't get a good sear on it. Big green egg gets used all the time though I love it
Aye I just do long slow cooks on mine. It’s also good for chicken breasts, something I fly through

Looking at investing in a decent BBQ - so much choice and not sure where to start, what’s shite and what’s not.

Leaning towards gas as it’s easier to light and clean but don’t know what I should be spending and how to make sure I don’t fuck it if I leave it outside or if it needs to live in a shed.

Any tips much appreciated!
If you are not going to use it much go for coal for a better taste and it’s makes it more fun. If you are going to be a regular user get gas. Also if you are going to cook for a lot of people go for gas. If you can store it over the winter get a cheap one, if not you can get a mid range and a cover or like side further up an expensive one and it will not budge. Also don’t mess about with supermarket charcoal if you are going down that route, get some restaurant grade stuff it burns hotter and longer so you are not constantly seeing to the coals as well as cooking. I recently changed to a gas bbq as I use the pizza oven with coal and throw all sorts in it. However the gas bbq comes into its own if we just fancy a quick burger outside with the kids unplanned where as the coal one was a bit off putting and needed to be an arranged thing most of the time.

Back