bbq chimney starter.

Proper bbq is where you cook food slowly using indirect heat from wood or charcoal.
What most of us have is a charcoal grill. Which we incorrectly call a bbq.

The Americans have got this one right tbh. Much as I hate to say it.
Like the Weber kettle ones or not? I tend to use that like an oven but the bottom bit is still receiving direct heat from the coals

Proper bbq is where you cook food slowly using indirect heat from wood or charcoal.

The South African braai method is surely the correct one too then?!

The South African braai method is surely the correct one too then?!

No idea mate. The words and to originate in Spain, then over to the carribean and then Southern US states

Like the Weber kettle ones or not? I tend to use that like an oven but the bottom bit is still receiving direct heat from the coals
Mine has a bowl that stops the coals radiating into the food above. Three compartments. But side by side works too.

The traeger wood pellet ones look spot on, big money like. You can set your temperature digitally

Think I need to read up in this a bit more.

Nah. Gas BBQed meat still gets a flavour about it. It's not exactly he same as charcoal, but it's nothing like grilled.
The flavour is probably burning fat smoke settling on the meat!
The flavour is the shit that could potentially kill you later in life ;)

http://www.sciencefocus.com/qa/bbq-food-bad-you

Also, unlike grilling, a barbecue heats the meat from below. As the fat drips onto the hot coals it burns, and the smoke rises up and coats the meat. This smoke contains lots of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) from the partially burned fat. PAHs are another group of chemicals that are known to cause cancer.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/cooked-meats-fact-sheet#q2
small risk anar but thought I'd scaremonger!
What evidence is there that HCAs and PAHs in cooked meats may increase cancer risk?
Studies have shown that exposure to HCAs and PAHs can cause cancer in animal models (6). In many experiments, rodents fed a diet supplemented with HCAs developed tumors of the breast, colon, liver, skin, lung, prostate, and other organs (712). Rodents fed PAHs also developed cancers, including leukemia and tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and lungs (13). However, the doses of HCAs and PAHs used in these studies were very high—equivalent to thousands of times the doses that a person would consume in a normal diet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, unlike grilling, a barbecue heats the meat from below. As the fat drips onto the hot coals it burns, and the smoke rises up and coats the meat. This smoke contains lots of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs) from the partially burned fat. PAHs are another group of chemicals that are known to cause cancer.

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/causes-prevention/risk/diet/cooked-meats-fact-sheet#q2
What evidence is there that HCAs and PAHs in cooked meats may increase cancer risk?
Studies have shown that exposure to HCAs and PAHs can cause cancer in animal models (6). In many experiments, rodents fed a diet supplemented with HCAs developed tumors of the breast, colon, liver, skin, lung, prostate, and other organs (712). Rodents fed PAHs also developed cancers, including leukemia and tumors of the gastrointestinal tract and lungs (13). However, the doses of HCAs and PAHs used in these studies were very high—equivalent to thousands of times the doses that a person would consume in a normal diet.
Another vote for proper BBQ with indirect heating then!

I love scare sorry shit research like this. As it says you'd need to be eating a mountain of burnt burgers and chicken portions every day to approach anywhere near the levels that would pose any threat to your health.

Don't eat potatoes
Don't eat burnt toast
yada yada yada

bullshit.

A healthy & balanced diet will see most of us through till the owld reaper pops up and comes a-knocking.

No idea mate. The words and to originate in Spain, then over to the carribean and then Southern US states

Mine has a bowl that stops the coals radiating into the food above. Three compartments. But side by side works too.

You can do proper barbecuing in a kettle. Coals one side, food the other, lid on. Works a treat, but i've only a titchy little kettle, so it takes me ages to cook anything more than a few sausages.

i think you need to get out more mate.

You can do proper barbecuing in a kettle. Coals one side, food the other, lid on. Works a treat, but i've only a titchy little kettle, so it takes me ages to cook anything more than a few sausages.
Yeh, I mentioned a side-by-side approach in another post after the one you quoted :)

i think you need to get out more mate.
Aye Professor yamar1 you are right, taking 2 mins at 9pm to post 2 links and quoting part of them means I need to get out more! :lol: :lol:nibble?

I love comments like this ;)

Back