BBC: Why is heroin killing so many people?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am all for saving money etc but rhere a few questions i have that need answering that ive never heard anyone answer.

If methadone is supposed to be a subsitute to bring people off heroin currently, why give people heroin for free and not continue to provide them methadone? Will they also be given methodone as well when it becomes free?
It will reduce crime addicts commit to fund their habit however i fear it would be too easy to stay on it for life.

I am all for saving money etc but rhere a few questions i have that need answering that ive never heard anyone answer.

If methadone is supposed to be a subsitute to bring people off heroin currently, why give people heroin for free and not continue to provide them methadone? Will they also be given methodone as well when it becomes free?
It will reduce crime addicts commit to fund their habit however i fear it would be too easy to stay on it for life.

Methadone is a (semi?)-synthetic substitute for heroin and doesn’t produce the same level of high, to the best of my knowledge.

Best analogy I can think of is that methadone is to heroin as a steak bake is to a Beef Wellington.

Both get the job done, but the methadone isn’t as good.

Heroin is what they really want.

Methadone also has the unfortunate drawbacks of being liquid (and so transportable and sellable) and is stored at home for some patients who are on it long term, which increases risk of overdose of user and misuse by anyone else in that home.

There are occasionally but rarely cases of people dying having used someone else’s methadone. Sometimes children.

Having heroin self-administered by IV in a dedicated centre would at least limit some of these issues but would of course create its own

Methadone stops withdrawal but doesn't really give users pleasure. So many heroin addicts who enjoy the rush won't take methadone, or if they do they'll top it up with something else.

Methadone is helpful if someone is trying to stop using, but if someone is wanting to use it doesn't do much.

Methadone is a (semi?)-synthetic substitute for heroin and doesn’t produce the same level of high, to the best of my knowledge.

Best analogy I can think of is that methadone is to heroin as a steak bake is to a Beef Wellington.

Both get the job done, but the methadone isn’t as good.

Heroin is what they really want.

Methadone also has the unfortunate drawbacks of being liquid (and so transportable and sellable) and is stored at home for some patients who are on it long term, which increases risk of overdose of user and misuse by anyone else in that home.

There are occasionally but rarely cases of people dying having used someone else’s methadone. Sometimes children.

Having heroin self-administered by IV in a dedicated centre would at least limit some of these issues but would of course create its own

Ive never heard of anyone having methadone at home nowadays. All long terms i know of are daily or other day visitors to local chemists. That happen?
In regards to administering heroin when its legal, surely its not going to be by injection and the issues this may cause? On the other hand diabetes sufferers manage

Methadone stops withdrawal but doesn't really give users pleasure. So many heroin addicts who enjoy the rush won't take methadone, or if they do they'll top it up with something else.

Methadone is helpful if someone is trying to stop using, but if someone is wanting to use it doesn't do much.

No doubt there will be a stronger illegal version released and it then becomes a competition. Users just like with methodone will top up with more or will prefer more strength. Doubt it will ever fully force illegal version to dissappear

Last edited:
So people who take drugs should be executed? What about alcohol?

And just to clarify, you think people who shop lift should be executed? I've seen people make arguments for why murderers and child rapists should be killed but you're going to have to enlighten me on why shop lifters should be killed. Should we stone people who speed? Lop hands off for antisocial behaviour?
alcohol is legal. try another argument.

Have to agree with the different way side of the argument we cant carry on doing what we do. For one thing are we not obliged to help addicts kick this regardless of money? Isnt it better for the country even to shift away from attacking the end user rather than helping them? Maybe trialling it see if it helps and if theres some success then enlarge it. Same as prisons we cant keep doing what we do and and expecting things to change for the better it simply wont.

Your entire argument hangs on the entirely arbitrary decision over whether something is legal or not?

If heroin was made legal to possess would you change your mind? Would you fuck. Stop hiding behind a veneer of opposition to it based on illegality.
fuck off you idiot. apart from the fact it's illegal, apart from the fact it's a major contributor to crime, apart from the fact of it's affect on the innocent around the drug addict, it contributes nothing to society. at least with alcohol, and even tobacco, it puts money into the national coffers - money which directly and indirectly is used to support the NHS, the fallback support mechanism for the drug-addled.. what does a smackhead contribute?

fuck off you idiot. apart from the fact it's illegal, apart from the fact it's a major contributor to crime, apart from the fact of it's affect on the innocent around the drug addict, it contributes nothing to society. at least with alcohol, and even tobacco, it puts money into the national coffers - money which directly and indirectly is used to support the NHS, the fallback support mechanism for the drug-addled.. what does a smackhead contribute?

If the measure of an individual is what they pay in tax, am I of lesser value that someone who earns more money than me?

They contribute nothing as they’re addicted to a substance that literally destroys lives.

These people need help.

Quite funny you mention alcohol and tobacco contributing to society... because they're legal and can be taxed. If you manage to get a "smackhead" off the skag, then they're going to be able to work and contribute to society. There are plenty of addicts who can already hold down a job but are at high risk of falling into that vicious circle, so there's that as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back