BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2019

Two unforgettable innings that made the summer and will live with people for a very long time!!

The award itself was a forgone conclusion after that innings at headlinley.

Finally the British public get a vote right...

Sorry.

In all seriousness the it couldn’t have been anyone else but I know enough car racing fans to have been concerned it would be Hamilton

See what you did there and it seems we agree mate.

I also agree that Stokes was a worthy winner of this.

Still cannot get my head round a bloke driving a better car than some other people driving inferior cars keeps getting in the top three mind, especially as he is a tax evader and can't even be bothered to come back into the country to accept his reward even though his season is finished. Andy Murray got criticised for this on numerous occassions yet resides in the UK and it was part of his training programme. Lewis does not race again till 15th March 2020 and does not reside in the UK. Presumably if he came back he might trigger the tax laws and have to start actually paying some here!!!

Ben Stokes is worth 100 Lewis Hamiltons in my book. I would happily have a beer with Ben and indeed buy him it but Lewis can bugger off as he's stolen enough from the UK tax revenue already. He also stole a top three place from Katerina Johnson Thompson in my book who is a far bigger inspiration, but its a peoples vote and a lot of people like formula 1 for some weird reason.

Like you said, not the first vote I have disagreed with this week, but that does not make me wrong..... ;)

Last edited:
If it was for the best sportsman then Hamilton should be considered. Statistically the second best at his sport at all time, and shows potential to be the best of all time, statistically. Also would make up for that debacle in 2009 when Giggs won it over Button.

however it is suppposed to be ‘personality ‘and Stokes has plenty. I admit Hamilton is not a person I would have a pint with.

Sterling has shown the best way to beat racism, by winning.

In reality it’s a popularity vote so fuck knows?

I am delighted that Ben Stokes won it.

However, this competition is best viewed as a celebration of phenomenal sporting achievement, and several of our sportsmen did some pretty amazing and inspiring things in 2019.

Back