BBC salary day

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

Robert Peston left the BBC for itv Purely for money, he's admitted as much.

I'm not being funny like but there's a reason why they are paid so much, that is because they bring viewers and listeners to the BBC. They have their jobs for a reason and anyone who thinks the man on the street could do a better job in entertaining 9 million listeners or presenting match of the day, is living in cloud cuckoo land
I reckon I'd do a better job than Peston.

Equal pay patter yet again. Blokes are earning more cos they are on more popular shows, and for a reason. Why should someone get as much, even if they're not as good?

It's frightening how many people in every day life think up and down the land blokes are on higher money for doing exactly the same job, having worked exactly the same amount of time.

Or just doing more, someone was asking why Dan Walker was paid more the Louise Minchin yesterday, because he presents two shows and she only does one!

But the BBC doesn't have equal pay in any way otherwise there wouldn't be such a discrepancy between the men. It's farcical as it down to supply and demand in the industry - you might as well say why don't Arsenal Ladies get paid as much as the men.
I don't think that gender has much to do with a person's ability to read a script or interview a subject it certainly does not require any physical ability as does a sport.

The BBC has had women newsreaders and announcers for many years and yet they themselves admit that the disparity in pay clearly shows a division between male and female. If people were treated fairly one would have expected there to be either no or only a small disparity in salaries.

As far as "supply and demand" goes in the broadcasting business the BBC has for years been able to make or break people's careers by having full control over the amount of exposure that they allow an individual to have. Look at how at one stage Stephen Fry seemed to turn up on everything and there are many other similar examples of this. On the other hand I always go back to the case of Simon Dee. He was a very popular DJ in the late 60's with a peak time TV show that had tens of millions of viewers. He was certainly a difficult man but when he crossed the BBC his entire career was absolute toast within a few months he ended up as a milkman at one stage. I am sure that if the BBC chose to do so they could promote the career of anyone of their choice - it's just showbiz after all.

I don't think that gender has much to do with a person's ability to read a script or interview a subject it certainly does not require any physical ability as does a sport.

The BBC has had women newsreaders and announcers for many years and yet they themselves admit that the disparity in pay clearly shows a division between male and female. If people were treated fairly one would have expected there to be either no or only a small disparity in salaries.

As far as "supply and demand" goes in the broadcasting business the BBC has for years been able to make or break people's careers by having full control over the amount of exposure that they allow an individual to have. Look at how at one stage Stephen Fry seemed to turn up on everything and there are many other similar examples of this. On the other hand I always go back to the case of Simon Dee. He was a very popular DJ in the late 60's with a peak time TV show that had tens of millions of viewers. He was certainly a difficult man but when he crossed the BBC his entire career was absolute toast within a few months he ended up as a milkman at one stage. I am sure that if the BBC chose to do so they could promote the career of anyone of their choice - it's just showbiz after all.
There may well be an issue, but you can't really analyse much from the data presented in that way. Break it down against broadcast hours, then show if any time is also spent working on production, promotion and other behind the scenes work then you might be close to getting something meaningful.

Dr Who gig would be a stepping stone as well. You would do it for the worldwide exposure and the kudos.
How long does it take to film a series? A couple of weeks? I'd imagine there is more time spent in post production there with the actors actually 'working'.

How long does it take to film a series? A couple of weeks? I'd imagine there is more time spent in post production than with the actors actually 'working'.
Apparently Tennant was paid £1 million a year for the role.
From License fee directly? That is all these figures show.

How long does it take to film a series? A couple of weeks? I'd imagine there is more time spent in post production there with the actors actually 'working'.

It will be a huge commitment. publicity etc but it is a great showcase for any rising/ambitious actor.

I assume they get paid a decent whack from BBC worldwide as well.

It is mental how the government are cutting nurses wages every year and they're going to food banks to survive, while Steve Wright is getting £500,000+ a year. I don't agree with everything Corbyn says but taxing the richest an extra 5-10% would go a long way. Too bad itll never happen haha. Chris f***ing Evans £2m, needs to give half of that back immediately for being a spenk.

none story in the most part... always going to be some who earn far more than others... same in any organisation. up to you to negotiate what you think you are worth..

From License fee directly? That is all these figures show.

often lucky to get a couple fo minutes of footage a day in the can.

takes ages to set up shots etc. loads of hanging around.

its not like a quiz show where they knock out 4 episodes a day for 3 weeks and that covers them for next 3 months

It is mental how the government are cutting nurses wages every year and they're going to food banks to survive, while Steve Wright is getting £500,000+ a year. I don't agree with everything Corbyn says but taxing the richest an extra 5-10% would go a long way. Too bad itll never happen haha
How do those two even correlate?
That gives a net wage of £275,676.48 - almost 50% of £500,000 goes to the Government is some shape or form, you think it is far to take away 50% of someones salary?

How do those two even correlate?
That gives a net wage of £275,676.48 - almost 50% of £500,000 goes to the Government is some shape or form, you think it is far to take away 50% of someones salary?

Imo when people are struggling it's unfair to pay others so much for doing a priveleged job. You can live comfortably without any worries on £100,000 a year. If they could tax everyone an extra 5% after that 100k and give it directly to the NHS maybe the hard working nurses and doctors wouldn't be stuggling as much. Of course it's fantasy like, don't worry im not under any illusions that the government want to save the NHS. I also hate Steve Wright with a passion

Imo when people are struggling it's unfair to pay others so much for doing a priveleged job. You can live comfortably without any worries on £100,000 a year. If they could tax everyone an extra 5% after that 100k and give it directly to the NHS maybe the hard working nurses and doctors wouldn't be stuggling as much. Of course it's fantasy like, don't worry im not under any illusions that the government want to save the NHS. I also hate Steve Wright with a passion

how comfortable in London. problem with being in a high profile TV job people expect you to be earning buckets .

Many in Soaps are earning decent money but people think they are on 3-400k.

they expect you to be living the lifestyle of someone on 300-400k. shocked when you see them driving round in a standard vw golf

I reckon I'd do a better job than Peston.
Peston must live on his own. If he shared a house with a family member or significant other, they would never let him go out looking like that.

On air, he has the relaxed air of a man who doesn't give a shit, is way too clever for all this, but knows he'll get paid regardless.

A severe arse kicking is required for that one.

The official info says the actors spend about two weeks per episode filming, three weeks for the Christmas episode, so that's six months a year not including any other preparation work, post production recording work and publicity appearances and suchlike. I reckon it's enough to keep them busy for about 8 months of the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back