BBC Radio Sunderland

I first came across the term "Mackem" in the late 70's.
Some Tynesiders who were working with us in the dry dock (Le Blonds) referred to us as "Mackems and Tackems".

It's a derogatory term, that I will never refer to myself as being. I'm a wearsider.

Can't believe the city has taken to it like a badge of honour... 🤦‍♂️

Everyone SING!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
That's right.

Emeli Sandé came over well on the show earlier.
I thought it was pretty meh TBH.
That Gilly Hope going on about her being born in Sunderland, trying to make a big thing out of it- :rolleyes:
Emeli's ma & da met at the Poly when they were students and moved away from the town up to Scotland a few years after she was born FFS - clutching at straws :rolleyes:
She was quite happy to be made Chancellor of the University mind. Her mam worked behind the Poly bar by all accounts.

I thought it was pretty meh TBH.
That Gilly Hope going on about her being born in Sunderland, trying to make a big thing out of it- :rolleyes:
Emeli's ma & da met at the Poly when they were students and moved away from the town up to Scotland a few years after she was born FFS - clutching at straws :rolleyes:
She was quite happy to be made Chancellor of the University mind. Her mam worked behind the Poly bar by all accounts.

I heard Emeli speak at the SOL when she became Chancellor of the University of Sunderland it was a cracking passionate speech about Sunderland.
Her parents wouldn't have met if they hadn't studied at Sunderland so its an emotional place for their family.

Gilly Hope isn't very clued up both Wearmouth and Carlton bars closed years ago.

Cool avatar top man Sammy.

Last edited:
It's a derogatory term, that I will never refer to myself as being. I'm a wearsider.

Can't believe the city has taken to it like a badge of honour... 🤦‍♂️

Everyone SING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You could be right in same way African Americans adopted the N word and Gays did the same with Fags and Queers?

Back