BBC Radio Sunderland

I've been a guest a few times, both in the studio and on the phone. It's very much a quick call to ask if you'll appear, a brief rundown on the subject you'll be discussing and then into the studio or on the phone and on the air after this song.
I'm not sure there's time to educate the guests without being condescending and I think it would get awkward if done on air.
In an ideal world guests would be aware of the wider area but it's not something I care too much about.

In that case change the name then, as I’ve said previously there’s two options available

It may have been something to do with Mackems ascertaining themselves more in the last 25 years or so. We all used to be Geordies in the early 70s.

The "Geordie Nation" woke up a backlash in Sunderland people.
Never ever been a geordie, including in the 1970s. I assume youre not from Sunderland or you wouldnt be that ignorant

No need really. BBC Newcastle should be BBC Tyne and Wear.

Could merge with BBC Tees in my opinion. Last time I was up north, I picked up BBC Tees first in the car, and then Newcastle afterwards. The programming isn't much different to be honest. BBC North East would be fine, and save on money.

However this is about the only time I would propose linking anything with Teesside!

The bigger issue though is the programming. Its repetitive as anything. Just how many times can you get an audience to text in with "Guess the year all these songs are from" in one day?

Last edited:
WTF. The word "Mackem" was never used by people from Sunderland until the mid 80s. It was an insult from our nearest and dearest. However we subsequently adopted it.

Surely even you would know that. Disappointed.
This is wrong...I've always been a Mackem and it's not an insult. Sounds like your upbringing was flawed if you think it was invented by geordies...blame your parents.

This is wrong...I've always been a Mackem and it's not an insult. Sounds like your upbringing was flawed if you think it was invented by geordies...blame your parents.
The edge is correct
Never heard it unless some moaning geordie was around
Wearsiders never used the term about themselves

Boris you seem to be wrong yet again today

Back