BBC Look North

That was one of the worst, and there’s a good long list of bad uns, reports I’ve ever seen on our regional news programme. It was very dramatic, even down to disguising participants, echoing rooms, carol really bigging it up, then....... non story, scc pays £19m in severance to 631 punters who all sign an agreement, whoopy f***ing wow, is this what my tv licence gets spent on! Whoever sanctioned this one should be next out the door with an agreement and no f***ing wedge, that’s a minute of my life I’ll never get back.

We need to discuss the semantics of agreement and order. A gagging order is enforced by a high court judge, this has never happened with Sunderland Council so there is literally nothing to investigate according to your initial post.
A compromise agreement is agreed between all parties, with legal advice on both sides being compulsory, so not one person has been ordered to do anything.
Nobody has been gagged and nobody has been ordered to do anything. Compromise agreements can't prevent you from highlighting wrongdoing.
What is the issue you believe that needs investigating and how is the investigation benefiting from highlighting the number of compromise agreements, which are standard practice?
So what's the compromise

So what's the compromise
As highlighted earlier in the thread, usually that you accept the redundancy and will not come back with a constructive dismissal claim further down the line. Standard practice to protect the employer.
There will usually be a standard clause about business confidentiality. If I knew how much my company was paying or bidding for a contract and went to another employer after signing a compromise agreement and used that information to undercut, I could be sued. It's very basic stuff, happens everywhere.

What do you think has happened?

That was one of the worst, and there’s a good long list of bad uns, reports I’ve ever seen on our regional news programme. It was very dramatic, even down to disguising participants, echoing rooms, carol really bigging it up, then....... non story, scc pays £19m in severance to 631 punters who all sign an agreement, whoopy f***ing wow, is this what my tv licence gets spent on! Whoever sanctioned this one should be next out the door with an agreement and no f***ing wedge, that’s a minute of my life I’ll never get back.
As has been discussed on this board before, Inside Out is nothing more than localised Watchdog trying to sensationalise non stories to anger people who can't apply any sensible reasoning to what they are being told.
Chris Jackson has about as much investigative vigour as someone asking their ganny if they want a cup of tea.

Last edited:
As highlighted earlier in the thread, usually that you accept the redundancy and will not come back with a constructive dismissal claim further down the line. Standard practice to protect the employer.
There will usually be a standard clause about business confidentiality. If I knew how much my company was paying or bidding for a contract and went to another employer after signing a compromise agreement and used that information to undercut, I could be sued. It's very basic stuff, happens everywhere.

What do you think has happened?

As has been discussed on this board before, Inside Out is nothing more than localised Watchdog trying to sensationalise non stories to anger people who can't apply any sensible reasoning to what they are being told.
Chris Jackson has about as much investigative vigour as someone asking their ganny if they want a cup of tea.
It’s not inside out this time m8

Not irrelevant at all. Why would a call centre worker need to leave with a "confidentiality agreement". Maybe sign one at the start of employment aye. Is it because these agreements need to be rolled out to all staff and not just those high earners at the top who the council might deem to be a "publicity risk", making your agreement irrelevant but necessary.
And we really don't need to discuss the semantics of "Compromise" and "Gagging" do we ?

Logon or register to see this image

What do you mean by compromise?

Yeah, an exclusive:)
What a waste of five minutes that was.:lol:
Exclusive that has been done a hundred times before. The one person in the report who had any legal knowledge explained that it wasn't a problem at all and protected both parties. Whistleblowing and reporting issues is not prevented.
Total non story done with some bizarre shadows and background music to make it look sinister.:lol:

What a waste of five minutes that was.:lol:
Exclusive that has been done a hundred times before. The one person in the report who had any legal knowledge explained that it wasn't a problem at all and protected both parties. Whistleblowing and reporting issues is not prevented.
Total non story done with some bizarre shadows and background music to make it look sinister.:lol:
And don’t forget Niall doing his all council things are bad face.

And don’t forget Niall doing his all council things are bad face.
:lol: Frustrating thing about him is that he knows the difference and instead of educating people, he perpetuates the myth. He does it on every subject.

Why doesn't he shout from the rooftops that compromise agreements do not prevent you from reporting wrongdoing and that anybody who has any information should report it to the relevant authorities?

Back