BBC Look North

Sam Handwich

Striker
Have finally decided to investigate Gagging Orders by local councils. 10 years too f***ing late. The perpetrators have spent and gone.
A cynical person might suggest they have acknowledged the situation without implicating any serving councillors. Or anyone for that matter.

Have finally decided to investigate Gagging Orders by local councils. 10 years too f***ing late. The perpetrators have spent and gone.
A cynical person might suggest they have acknowledged the situation without implicating any serving councillors. Or anyone for that matter.

I've got one from Local Government.
Dated June 2008 and ties me for a lifetime.
Not going to give details though it has nothing to do with whistle blowing, corruption or fraud.
I suspect many NDA's like mine are for mundane reasons.

It's important to know the difference between a gagging order in which Sunderland Council have not issued a single one.
Contact Law | Find a solicitor in the UK

And a compromise agreement which is standard practice in both public and private sector when people get enhanced redundancy packages.
Compromise agreement - Wikipedia

This report and all the ones before it relate to compromise agreements. It is a non story made to sound exceptional by using the more inflammatory 'gagging order' to make it sound sinister.

Sunderland have more than other councils largely due to having more voluntary redundancies with enhanced terms than giving people the bare minimum.

I signed one when I was made redundant from a call centre, there is nothing sinister in it at all. I've talked openly about my time there and written two novels set in call centres and haven't ended up in court yet.

The amount of redundancies being forced on councils by cuts is newsworthy in itself but this is nothing but a lazy distraction.

It's important to know the difference between a gagging order in which Sunderland Council have not issued a single one.

And a compromise agreement which is standard practice in both public and private sector when people get enhanced redundancy packages.

This report and all the ones before it relate to compromise agreements. It is a non story made to sound exceptional by using the more inflammatory 'gagging order' to make it sound sinister.

Sunderland have more than other councils largely due to having more voluntary redundancies with enhanced terms than giving people the bare minimum.

I signed one when I was made redundant from a call centre, there is nothing sinister in it at all. I've talked openly about my time there and written two novels set in call centres and haven't ended up in court yet.

The amount of redundancies being forced on councils by cuts is newsworthy in itself but this is nothing but a lazy distraction.
Len Lowther doesn't like this

I would dare suggest that you were on a level where the amount of severance would not raise eyebrows, nor would you know where the bodies were buried. Ditto @KeefBeer

Fuck facts man, I want to be outraged.

Two novels set in a call centre, you must have a very vivid imagination.

Irrelevant. Not a single gagging order has been issued so your OP is misleading.
Compromise agreements in no way prevent you from reporting illegal behaviour.
Not irrelevant at all. Why would a call centre worker need to leave with a "confidentiality agreement". Maybe sign one at the start of employment aye. Is it because these agreements need to be rolled out to all staff and not just those high earners at the top who the council might deem to be a "publicity risk", making your agreement irrelevant but necessary.
And we really don't need to discuss the semantics of "Compromise" and "Gagging" do we ?

Not irrelevant at all. Why would a call centre worker need to leave with a "confidentiality agreement". Maybe sign one at the start of employment aye. Is it because these agreements need to be rolled out to all staff and not just those high earners at the top who the council might deem to be a "publicity risk", making your agreement irrelevant but necessary.
And we really don't need to discuss the semantics of "Compromise" and "Gagging" do we ?
We need to discuss the semantics of agreement and order. A gagging order is enforced by a high court judge, this has never happened with Sunderland Council so there is literally nothing to investigate according to your initial post.
A compromise agreement is agreed between all parties, with legal advice on both sides being compulsory, so not one person has been ordered to do anything.
Nobody has been gagged and nobody has been ordered to do anything. Compromise agreements can't prevent you from highlighting wrongdoing.
What is the issue you believe that needs investigating and how is the investigation benefiting from highlighting the number of compromise agreements, which are standard practice?

Back