BBC license fee

I pay £12.37 licence fee and £9.99 Netflix fee per month, so for £22.36 I consider that very good value for money for all my viewing needs.

It's exactly fit for purpose. It's not paying for the content for the same reason as commerical providers. Netflix et al do not have to deliver on their public purpose as the BBC do.

It really isn't. It's remit is far too wide and it doesn't even start to deliver what it is supposed to IMHO.

I would have one tv channel for news and documentaries.

One channel tv for creative/arts/drama

One spoken word radio channel Radio 5/4 hybrid.

A few regional radio stations but cut back drastically.

Paid for by the taxpayer.

The rest of it can be easily supplied by subscription/commercial firms.

Sweet Jesus, we've got the very same arseholes that begrudge paying for a TV licence that get rimmed every month by SKY or similar.

The same folk don't even question the price of fags (£8 or £9 a packet, now?)

However, for a saving £12 a month, they get all high and mighty judging the BBC for it's output.

I'd happily pay £12 a month for David Attenburgh stuff alone, not to mention superb coverage of the Olympics when it's on.

"Ooh, look at me, I'm hard coz I divvint paya me lie-sense fee LOL"

Sweet Jesus, we've got the very same arseholes that begrudge paying for a TV licence that get rimmed every month by SKY or similar.

The same folk don't even question the price of fags (£8 or £9 a packet, now?)

However, for a saving £12 a month, they get all high and mighty judging the BBC for it's output.

I'd happily pay £12 a month for David Attenburgh stuff alone, not to mention superb coverage of the Olympics when it's on.

"Ooh, look at me, I'm hard coz I divvint paya me lie-sense fee LOL"

Are you sure you aren't 17?

I don't mind the license fee however their Radio structure needs a radical overhaul.

Radio 1 - More bothered about their You Tube hits and pandering to kids.
Radio 2 - Stuck in an time warp and loses a large chunk of the 29-39 demographic to commercial radio. Get rid of the 1980's/90's R1 presenters for starters.
Radio 3 - I've not met anyone who listens to it.
Radio 4 - Excellent station but too close to 5 Live, merge with Radio 3 and fix the 25-39 demographic output with new output.
5 Live - Remain as is
6 Music - Sort of leave it as it, it can be too far up its own arse at times but has some great output.

BBC Local Radio - the least said the better. They can change the name of BBC Newcastle for starters.

I don't mind the license fee however their Radio structure needs a radical overhaul.

Radio 1 - More bothered about their You Tube hits and pandering to kids.
Radio 2 - Stuck in an time warp and loses a large chunk of the 29-39 demographic to commercial radio. Get rid of the 1980's/90's R1 presenters for starters.
Radio 3 - I've not met anyone who listens to it.
Radio 4 - Excellent station but too close to 5 Live, merge with Radio 3 and fix the 25-39 demographic output with a new output.
5 Live - Remain as is
6 Music - Sort of leave it as it, it can be too far up its own arse at times but has some great output.

BBC Local Radio - the least said the better. They can change the name of BBC Newcastle for starters.

Radio 1 - More bothered about their You Tube hits and pandering to kids. Correct
Radio 2 - Stuck in an time warp and loses a large chunk of the 29-39 demographic to commercial radio. Get rid of the 1980's/90's R1 presenters for starters. Incorrect. 2nd or 3rd largest radio station in the world. Second only to R4 in terms of UK adult audience (39+)
Radio 3 - I've not met anyone who listens to it. True. Expensive. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a place - it has a commercial competitor.
Radio 4 - Excellent station but too close to 5 Live, merge with Radio 3 and fix the 25-39 demographic output with a new output. Nothing like 5-Live at all. Why would you merge Classical Music with Speech?
5 Live - Remain as is. Thinking man's LBC. Doesn't say much. Great sports coverage. No reason it shouldn't share SOME news output with R4.
6 Music - Sort of leave it as it, it can be too far up its own arse at times but has some great output. Close it down. Or online only. Budget far too high.

BBC Local Radio - the least said the better. They can change the name of BBC Newcastle for starters. Should all be closed down. No need for them if Ofcom had been doing their job and managing the commercial groups correctly.

I love it how BBC fans think that because they like it, the fee should remain.

Well yes, I’d like the rest of the country to contribute to paying for my interests as well. It isn’t going to happen, though.
It might be great value to its fans, but it’s terrible value if you watch it for one or two programmes a week, or not at all.

The BBC provides entertainment, interest and information across a wide variety of platforms. I think it works out like something ridiculous like 8p a day.
Radio, TV, internet, News, live and on catch up.
And NO adverts.
I think it's great value for money. It'll show things I don't watch and won't ever watch, but that's why it provides something for everyone.

Radio 1 - More bothered about their You Tube hits and pandering to kids. Correct
Radio 2 - Stuck in an time warp and loses a large chunk of the 29-39 demographic to commercial radio. Get rid of the 1980's/90's R1 presenters for starters. Incorrect. 2nd or 3rd largest radio station in the world. Second only to R4 in terms of UK adult audience (39+)
Radio 3 - I've not met anyone who listens to it. True. Expensive. Doesn't mean it doesn't have a place - it has a commercial competitor.
Radio 4 - Excellent station but too close to 5 Live, merge with Radio 3 and fix the 25-39 demographic output with a new output. Nothing like 5-Live at all. Why would you merge Classical Music with Speech?
5 Live - Remain as is. Thinking man's LBC. Doesn't say much. Great sports coverage. No reason it shouldn't share SOME news output with R4.
6 Music - Sort of leave it as it, it can be too far up its own arse at times but has some great output. Close it down. Or online only. Budget far too high.

BBC Local Radio - the least said the better. They can change the name of BBC Newcastle for starters. Should all be closed down. No need for them if Ofcom had been doing their job and managing the commercial groups correctly.

Difficult to argue with any of that. Bit harsh on the local stations side of things, but I only have BBC Radio Mancheter as a pre-set incase City or United are playing and they have it on and I'm driving and fancy listening to it.
That's a pretty rare occurrence mind you. And if I had DAB in the car, I'd have 5Live or one of the others on

Last edited:

Radio 2 may the 2nd or 3rd largest but there is still a demographic gap between itself and Radio 1. Radio 1 is 15 to 29 while Radio 2 is supposed to be 35 and above. I'm 38 and I can't stand Radio 2, it's like gods waiting room at times. I'll switch to 5 live, 6 music and sometimes (albeit very rarely) Radio 4 for for the comedy shows, that all said I don't have a default go to radio station with the BBC. 10 years ago it was Radio 1, without question.

While I take do take your other points, there is definitely scope to deliver more focused programming meeting the needs of population at a reduced budget.

I'm not sure that Radio 3 and Classic FM are direct competitors, although both play classical music. That's like saying that Heartbeat and The Wire are similar because both are dramas featuring the police.

Radio 2 may the 2nd or 3rd largest but there is still a demographic gap between itself and Radio 1. Radio 1 is 15 to 29 while Radio 2 is supposed to be 35 and above. I'm 38 and I can't stand Radio 2, it's like gods waiting room at times. I'll switch to 5 live, 6 music and sometimes (albeit very rarely) Radio 4 for for the comedy shows, that all said I don't have a default go to radio station with the BBC. 10 years ago it was Radio 1, without question.

While I take do take your other points, there is definitely scope to deliver more focused programming meeting the needs of population at a reduced budget.

I thought radio 2 had moved a bit to occupy some sort of middle ground but looking at the schedule, and based on the presenters, it's dreadful! I like 6Music, for music radio, but tend, now to default to 5Live on the radio, with the odd move to Radio4. TBH, the issues music radio has include a) everyone can tailor their listening now to their exact taste b) the demographic listening to popular music (as opposed to classical) is now so broad that it's incredibly difficult to cover the full breadth successfully.

Last edited:
I agree. Bodyguard is made by ITV studios though. Don’t ask, I had no idea.

ITV bought out World Productions, which is the original studio in 2017. The studio was commissioned to make Bodyguard in 2016. It's the studio which also makes Line of Duty. Jed Mercurio's been associated with World Productions for 25+ years. In practice, it means that ITV own the broadcasting rights to series 1 of Bodyguard outside the UK but BBC broadcast it in the UK (they commissioned it from what was an independent studio). No iidea what happens for the inevitable series 2.

Back