BBC female presenters demanding action on pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perfectly reasonable for a female head of finance, accountants assistant, researcher, lighting technician, administrator, Chief Exec, editor, producer etc.. to be paid the same as a male would be. However, when it come to celebs pay for presenting it's a different matter, pay for those people isn't the norm as it's based on their personality and the programme they present and I can't see how you can compare it with anyone never mind between men and women.

Does anybody watch match of the day because Gary Lineker presents it?

I agree to an extent but the ratings have always fluctuated with certain presenters, Sara Cox bombed and was replaced by Moyles and the ratings went back up. That was over 10 years ago. Moyles left and the ratings went down pretty quickly.
What a world we live in. :lol:

What's lost in all this by the media, because everything is concentrated on the gender gap, is that they're all f***ing overpaid.
That fuckin bint who presents Strictly is on half a million quid a year ffs.
As for fuckin Chris Evans 2.2 million?!!?

BBC should not have to pay top dollar. christine Bleakley and the potato headed West brom fan fucked off from The One Show, they just got two cheaper versions and no one probably noticed.

Close the gender pay gap by not renewing the massive contracts. Simple.

If there's 2 people doing the same job on the same show they'll be getting the same cash anyway.

Lot of fuss over nothing.

If Yorath is presenting MOTD she's probably not on the same cash as Lineker as she's a stand in and IMO not as good. The ratings would probably drop if she got the gig full time. The same would go for a bloke.

Norton or whoever else on top cash present popular shows. A bloke or a woman on a less popular show won't be on the same money. It's market forces not sexism or inequality.

I've always been of the view MOTD would be better with proper journalists hosting as opposed to ex-pros just looking for an easy pay day.

I've always thought that MOTD would be better presented by ex-pro futblers if they would offer a players' insight into what's going on rather than the outside view of a professional TV presenter. I.E. offer insight into the tricks of the game that are taking place that the man in the street might not notice.

With regard to that I disagree with the notion that female presenters (such as Balding and co) who have never played the game could do as good a job as Lineker, Shearer et al.

Has anybody mentioned the news this morning that The BBC are considering laying off male presenters in all areas to close the gender pay gap?

Gary Lineker built his media career on the back of a hugely successful career in top level football.

Clare Balding built her career on her Dad's successful career in horse racing.

Perhaps there's the clue to their respective levels of marketability.

If there's 2 people doing the same job on the same show they'll be getting the same cash anyway.

Lot of fuss over nothing.

If Yorath is presenting MOTD she's probably not on the same cash as Lineker as she's a stand in and IMO not as good. The ratings would probably drop if she got the gig full time. The same would go for a bloke.

Norton or whoever else on top cash present popular shows. A bloke or a woman on a less popular show won't be on the same money. It's market forces not sexism or inequality.
100% this.

No one mentions the middle class bias in the BBC.

I've always thought that MOTD would be better presented by ex-pro futblers if they would offer a players' insight into what's going on rather than the outside view of a professional TV presenter. I.E. offer insight into the tricks of the game that are taking place that the man in the street might not notice.

With regard to that I disagree with the notion that female presenters (such as Balding and co) who have never played the game could do as good a job as Lineker, Shearer et al.

Has anybody mentioned the news this morning that The BBC are considering laying off male presenters in all areas to close the gender pay gap?
Years ago I was in a bar in Zimbabwe (as you tend to be) waiting until the game between SAFC and Chelsea kicked off when the then manager of Zimbabwe and recently sacked manager of Chelsea, Ian Porterfield, asked if he could share my booth.

What followed was a couple of hours of exactly what you describe, with no holds barred and an insight into players he'd been managing up to a few months before. Even if he hadn't been a childhood hero of mine, it was a masterclass of tactics which we should be getting from programmes like MOTD.

Welcome to the Sunderland Taliban thread.
Next a thread on why girls / women shouldn't be educated followed by the benefits of female circumcision.
Guest post by ched evans

100% this.

No one mentions the middle class bias in the BBC.

It's not entirely market forces like when female co-presenters are on less and almost all the most well paid are men.

The middle class bias is partly structural - anyone who can afford to go to a university doing the right courses and take an unpaid internship instead of going straight into paid employment is more than welcome

I think we can all agree that equal work deserves equal pay and this caused a bit of controversy as everyone rallied behind the lassie on BBC Breakfast. She present BBC breakfast with that lad called Dan and as it turned out, he was being paid more and everyone jumped on it, patriarchy this etc. However, what wasn't initially disclosed was that Dan also hosts other shows on the BBC, not limited to Football Focus and MOTD2 (occasionally).

The problem here is that people are jumping at the whole 'gender pay gap' and in my opinion not looking at the situation openly.

Firstly, Evans the highest earner. I take it that was for Top Gear, is it not expected that he will command a big salary? Its one of the BBCs biggest entities and they were trying their upmost to compete with Clarksons new venture. Not to mention the fact that Evans has been in the game a very long time and generally speaking that means you can command a bigger fee.

Secondly, Lineker. Should presenters of female sport be paid the same as him, I don't think so. I'd suspect that there are more viewers of MOTD than a womens FA cup game. Secondly, Linker gets such a fee because in order to get someone of notoriety, they have to pay. If anything he's arguably underpaid if you look at what Sky pay their Football pundits.

Should men and women be paid the same for the same work, absolutely, are they, yes. A male and female cashier in Asda are paid the same, male and female stewards at the SoL are paid the same and men and women bus drivers are also paid the same. There is no 'gender pay gap'. The 'pay gap' arises from simply lumping the earnings of all women together and comparing them to the earnings of all men. However, a pay gap in the entertainment firstly has no bearing on any of us in the real world and only serves to drive the narrative of overall pay gap and secondly I'd argue men get paid more than women deservedly.

For example, with the womens Euros being on at the moment, theres some out there blasting the rafters the idea that womens players should earn more than men. So that Englands first choice female striker should be earning the same as her male counterpart. Firstly, whose gonna pay for that, wheres the money coming from and secondly, its quite frankly ludicrous. You can't put male and female sport, in general, on the same platform. When talking about football, if we were to list the football Pyramid from Premier League to Sunday League, where would you place the Womens Super League? Certainly not at the top, and it'd be generous to put them on par with even football league teams. Teams at the top have better followings, better deals and the like and can therefore do what theyre doing financially. People want to watch the best which is why Chinese fans flock to support United etc and not Bristol Ladies or Scunthorpe Town. It's quite simply a harsh reality. I'd also add that I read that one English female was being paid in the region of £100k annually. That probably earns her more than some players in League 1 and 2, despite not being able to compete at that level herself, so in one regard she's doing well, but on the other, people will tell you shes being diminished, or not getting what she deserves.

Men and women for the most part chose very different paths in life, from the very life they lead to the career or occupation they choose and theres nothing wrong with that. Men and women are not the same, but saying so gets you vilified, we experience life differently and subconsciously have different motivations, hence leading to the different choices that men and women make.

It's not entirely market forces like when female co-presenters are on less and almost all the most well paid are men.

The middle class bias is partly structural - anyone who can afford to go to a university doing the right courses and take an unpaid internship instead of going straight into paid employment is more than welcome
isn't it? You think the BBC management team are institutionally sexist.

The middle class bias is really a disgrace. IMHO.

Welcome to the Sunderland Taliban thread.
Next a thread on why girls / women shouldn't be educated followed by the benefits of female circumcision.
Guest post by ched evans

Eh? Who on this thread has said that if a man & woman do exactly the same job a man should get paid more? I think just about everyone agrees that if they are both doing the same job to the same standard they should be paid the same.

The only thing that has been questioned is whether the jobs exactly the same & are individual salaries in the entertainment industry based on other factors such as ratings, popularlity, & credibility & how much they could earn elsewhere etc.

I can just see the agents negotiating a £1.75m salary on behalf of: -

Linekar: - he's been successfully doing the job for nearly 20 years, he's one of England's all time greatest goal scorers which adds some kudos to your flagship sports show (about the game that the said presenter excelled in). He could earn a higher salary working for a rival network but will accept a lower salary for the prestige of working for the bbc

Balding: Erm, that's how much Gary gets paid and we need more women on high salaries to match the men.

Last edited:
isn't it? You think the BBC management team are institutionally sexist.

The middle class bias is really a disgrace. IMHO.

I think if all the media broadcasters had to be this transparent they would be among the better employers for gender and race equality, but it does seem like in the jobs where it's less measurable and more "gut feel" like the talent on screen, there's a bias towards white males. Probably not huge and probably better than in the past.

In terms of middle class bias they're probably among the worst, and I agree it is a disgrace. It's also a symptom of the widespread structural discrimination against the working class which is imho on a par with racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back