BBC female presenters demanding action on pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Evans should be paid the same as whoever is presenting the breakfast show on BBC radio Newcastle?

Why not? What's so bloody amazing about Chris Evans? His listenership (if there is such a word) will be inflated just because of the programme he's presenting; anyone with a bit of patter could do it.

In all seriousness though - his fame must bring something to the table, but I wouldn't like to put a monetary value on it. To flip your argument on it's head, why couldn't the person presenting radio Newcastle do Chris Evans job, and why wouldn't he/she be worth paying £2m+

Why not? What's so bloody amazing about Chris Evans? His listenership (if there is such a word) will be inflated just because of the programme he's presenting; anyone with a bit of patter could do it.

In all seriousness though - his fame must bring something to the table, but I wouldn't like to put a monetary value on it. To flip your argument on it's head, why couldn't the person presenting radio Newcastle do Chris Evans job, and why wouldn't he/she be worth paying £2m+

Not that I listen to radio 1 but I'm sure since Grimshaw took over the number of listeners has plummeted and is at the lowest ever.

Not that I listen to radio 1 but I'm sure since Grimshaw took over the number of listeners has plummeted and is at the lowest ever.
Fair one, though that proves not anyone can do it, I think it also proves that fame on its own doesn't make you worth the money.

I think that's in part to do with Radio 1 aiming at a specific demographic/age group which probably isn't as interested in music radio as previous generations were.

I think that's in part to do with Radio 1 aiming at a specific demographic/age group which probably isn't as interested in music radio as previous generations were.

I agree to an extent but the ratings have always fluctuated with certain presenters, Sara Cox bombed and was replaced by Moyles and the ratings went back up. That was over 10 years ago. Moyles left and the ratings went down pretty quickly.

Evans' pay last year was inflated by the Top Gear fiasco, so not just for his radio stuff.
I have no doubt that is true but is his Top Gear fee part of the £2.2m from the bbc? I thought Top Gear was part of bbc worldwide & they don't have to publish figures for that.

How can Evans' money include Top Gear btw? Surely this is another one made by BBC World if all the hoo haa over Clarkson was to be believed?

I don't think it does. Matt le Blanc isn't on the list and I very much doubt that he'd do Top Gear for £500 and a lifetime's supply of pizza.

I don't understand the argument that because x programme isn't as popular a person shouldn't be paid as much. The job is the same, if the content they're presenting is more popular so be it.

That goes for men & women. As plenty of people have said, no-one watches MOTD to listen to Linekar.

By that token you'd say that playing football for Real Madrid is the same as playing football for Hartlepool and therefore a Pools player should get paid the same as Ronaldo?

They are different jobs that sit under the same heading (professional footballer). Ronaldo gets paid more because he plays in front of a bigger audience.

That said, I do agree about Linekar - so what if he buggered off to work for another company. Would the ratings really drop that much if he did?

why aren't the sisterhood campaigning for equality with men when it comes to access to children , equal prison sentences , the right for young girls to be conscripted alongside young men ....why always the nice stuff ?

Reduce the male pay. The fact Lineker, for example, gets paid so much for having such little charisma is obscene.

Is probably the right way forward in this instance. I don't think anyone on that infamous list is underpaid. They are all overpaid for what they do, just some (more so some of the men) are more overpaid than others. I do accept that people have contracts & it'll take time to sort out. If salaries were brought down some of the "talent" would leave to a different network, but many could be easily replaced without too much of an impact on quality.

As we don't have any choice over having to pay the license fee I'd rather see more of the overpaid have their salaries cut than have people who are already being overpaid becoming even more overpaid to address this issue.

Is probably the right way forward in this instance. I don't think anyone on that infamous list is underpaid. They are all overpaid for what they do, just some (more so some of the men) are more overpaid than others. I do accept that people have contracts & it'll take time to sort out. If salaries were brought down some of the "talent" would leave to a different network, but many could be easily replaced without too much of an impact on quality.

As we don't have any choice over having to pay the license fee I'd rather see more of the overpaid have their salaries cut than have people who are already being overpaid becoming even more overpaid to address this issue.

How does that work though? Everyone get's paid the same?

A presenter on Cbeebies get's the same as weetabix head?

No, different salaries for different shows, and other potential increments added, but capped at a certain level. There's a lot of complex criteria to factor in so I wouldn't want to begin speculating on which shows would fall into which bracket and what the bands would be

By that token you'd say that playing football for Real Madrid is the same as playing football for Hartlepool and therefore a Pools player should get paid the same as Ronaldo?

They are different jobs that sit under the same heading (professional footballer). Ronaldo gets paid more because he plays in front of a bigger audience.

That said, I do agree about Linekar - so what if he buggered off to work for another company. Would the ratings really drop that much if he did?

I doubt people watch MotD or what live football the BBC have specifically because of Lineker. I'm assuming that his salary for last year includes the Euros and any Olympic coverage he did BTW (not sure he did any?) so won't be quite as high this year for MotD plus cup games only.

A presenter on Cbeebies arguably earns it far more than any of the MoTD crew, unless its changed dramatically in the years since I left. Awful show, almost zero analysis and a group of "experts" phoning it in.

And to the main point:
Balding, Gabby Yorath, etc could all do Linekers job just as well, if only they were given the chance. Its all well and good talking about female footballers earning less because of the state of the game versus the mens, but presenting the highlights program? Why on earth is that not a job that can be done by any skilled TV pro?

A presenter on Cbeebies arguably earns it far more than any of the MoTD crew, unless its changed dramatically in the years since I left. Awful show, almost zero analysis and a group of "experts" phoning it in.

And to the main point:
Balding, Gabby Yorath, etc could all do Linekers job just as well, if only they were given the chance. Its all well and good talking about female footballers earning less because of the state of the game versus the mens, but presenting the highlights program? Why on earth is that not a job that can be done by any skilled TV pro?

I've always been of the view MOTD would be better with proper journalists hosting as opposed to ex-pros just looking for an easy pay day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back