BBC female presenters demanding action on pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think it's a tricky one. If they're doing the same job then you can obviously understand the argument but should, for example, a female who presents a women's football show get the same as Linekar? Not for me, there's that much money in the men's game that he could earn (and no doubt does when working for BT) a fortune on the commercial channels, no female presenter would attract the same salary on sky etc so why should they on BBC? If it's a male and a female presenter on a comparably successful cooking show or whatever then obviously you'd expect them to be on similar salaries

The lasses doing strictly deserve more money as its a flagship show.

Womens football though is never ging to be as big as mens so Balding can do one.

I get the flagship show argument but how does their salary compare to the judges? Are they really good presenters & could Winkleman earn £450k + if she presented on another channel?

"Household names including presenters Clare Balding, Victoria Derbyshire and Angela Rippon"

I've never heard of the last two.

If they're not as high profile then they'll not get as much.

And Chris Evans should be binned, complete fud and a waste of money.

"Household names including presenters Clare Balding, Victoria Derbyshire and Angela Rippon"

You mustn't watch or listen to the beeb much if you don't know the last two tbf. The latter has been on tv and radio about 30 year at a guess

Would they be happy if the salaries of their comparative male colleagues were reduced ?

Yes I believe so. They are rightly raising concerns about the pay of the gender, not the amount. Now for me it's the amount - I cannot get my head around some of the numbers involved.

I'm still of the opinion that the blokes and their agents are more likely to play hardball over salary negotiations.

I'm not a massive fan of Evans but he does get in around 9.5m listeners on radio 2. Lauren Laverne gets about 850k listeners on radio 6. Evans earns a much higher absolute salary but his salary per listner is a lot less. It would be wrong to suggest Evans & Laverne do the same job because even though they are radio presenters they present on different shows & bring in different audiences. They are both overpaid for what they do in my opinion

:eek:

Angela Rippon showed her legs on a Morecambe and Wise Christmas Special, ffs!

You've heard of Morecambe and Wise, haven't you? :D

I'm not a massive fan of Evans but he does get in around 9.5m listeners on radio 2. Lauren Laverne gets about 850k listeners on radio 6. Evans earns a much higher absolute salary but his salary per listner is a lot less. It would be wrong to suggest Evans & Laverne do the same job because even though they are radio presenters they present on different shows & bring in different audiences. They are both overpaid for what they do in my opinion

Fair enough. I was thinking it was just pay for TV, hadn't considered radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back