BBC ditches shows for old people

Apache Inbound

Midfield

THE BBC has sparked fury after revealing it will not make programmes aimed specifically at an older audience because their tastes are too varied, and is instead pumping an additional £40million into content for younger viewers.’

Another reason to stop paying the licence fee?

(Satire)

Neither of my daughters (23 and 27) (no) have an aerial or a sky dish. They use Netflix and YouTube. the idea of some random bloke poking about their houses to check if they can receive certain stations is laughable to them and concerning to me.
Both my kids, in their 20's,watch little TV, but download content like films online (neither live in the UK but I can't imagine them saying "I wonder what's on BBC to watch tonight").

I’m not exactly “young” anymore (36) but I only watch BBC programs on iPlayer. Louis Theroux and the odd Crime drama (Line of Duty etc), and breakfast news on a Saturday, is all I really watch on BBC these days unless there’s football on.
Hope you pay your licence fee.

I’m not exactly “young” anymore (36) but I only watch BBC programs on iPlayer. Louis Theroux and the odd Crime drama (Line of Duty etc), and breakfast news on a Saturday, is all I really watch on BBC these days unless there’s football on.
Same. I'm 36 as well and almost never watch traditional channels. Got amazon prime, sometimes have Netflix (then cancel when I've watched everything that takes my interest). Very occasionally watch YouTube documentaries if I go down some sort of rabbit hole. I'd go as far as to say the only thing I watch on normal channels is football (I do try to keep up with the news but normally do it via websites, find reading it easier). Occasionally I might see what films are on in an evening but that's about it.

I'd imagine we're fairly typical for our age. I know my lasses boy (18) watches next to nowt on normal channels as well. Can't imagine they've got a huge audience of actual youngsters (25 and lower) tbh. Quite a lot might watch things on iplayer I suppose, so they'll still look to make programmes for that market, but I think the days of waiting till a specific time to watch something are all but gone, unless it's a series you really want to watch.

And aye, I pay the licence as well. Use the website, use iplayer occasionally, watch footy on it. Don't think it's worth it but I do see the value of a group that will create content for all. But now they suggest they won't. Does make you wonder how long the model is sustainable for

Back