Bastille Day

Strange why the french make such a big deal - it was such an understated event. There were hardly any prisoners in the bastille when it was raided.

I suppose it was the symbolism.

Strange why the french make such a big deal - it was such an understated event. There were hardly any prisoners in the bastille when it was raided.

I suppose it was the symbolism.
They’d been looking for a reason for a National holiday. Don’t think anyone gives a shit about the actual storming event. It’s certainly not a big thing out in Brittany, just a good idea for a day off and a piss up.

A bit subdued compared to normal due to Coronavirus. The big military parade has been replaced with a smaller one celebrating the health workers. Fireworks at the Eiffel Tower and the flypast still happening.

Vive la France
Vive la différence

But if you close your eyes, does it almost feel like nothing changed at all?

I remember when Thatcher went to France for the 200 Year celebrations of the French Revolution. 'She couldn't resist making an arse of herself by saying we did things differently in Britain with things like Magna Carter.

She obviously was completely unaware that the Magna Carter was granted by a Plantagenet (French) king and that the French Revolution had been inspired in part by English born Tom Paine' s "Rights of Man" with Paine himself going to France and playing a very active part in the Revolution itself.

Back