Basic maths help ...

struggling with how to work this equation out, someone will probably work it out no bother. Needed for a child maintenance claim.

I currently share care of the kids for three consecutive nights out of 8 days due to my shift pattern. 4 on, 4 off shift pattern (I have the kids on 3 of my days off).

How many days do I have them overnight in a year? Thanks in advance.

Excel is your friend here. Assuming you start work on 1/1/20 and have the pattern of No kids/No Kids/No Kids/No Kids/Kids/Kids/Kids/Free/No Kids/No Kids/No Kids/No Kids then that would be Work 184, Kids 137 and Free 45 for the 366 days of 2020. So 37.4% and she has them 62.6%. But then I guess you will have them for a holiday? Easter/Xmas arrangements?

Do you have them overnight during the holidays, etc at all? Need to add those nights in to your total as well.
Yeah this ,all hols and your usual nights ,less when they are on hol with mam ...

It's not as easy as 365/8 *3, it would depend on where in his shift cycle his rest days were on Jan 1st and whether it was a leap year or not.The easiest way to do it is just get a year calander and colour rest days in then count them.But then what do I know only spent 23yrs of my life on shifts.;):)
the calculator I use has bands for the days though ,1-50 nights ,50-100 etc so it shouldn't have to be exact
Child maintenance calculator

Last edited:

Back