Baseball Playoffs

The Nationals came from the old Montreal Expos franchise which moved because they just didn't get the fan support. Canada is hockey country. The Expos though had one of the best farm systems in the game. Should have had a WS shot had the league decided not to strike that year.

Just supporting our Canuck cousins eh?

Ah gotcha. Naturally I hope they don’t do a number on the Astros!

The only North American sport I’ve never managed to pick a team in is NHL, watched the Stanley Cup final when we were in Boston and Houston this year but Houston lack a team and I can’t very well support the Stars.

Last edited:

Ah gotcha. Naturally I hope they don’t do a number on the Astros!

The only North American sport I’ve never managed to pick a team in is NHL, watched the Stanley Cup final when we were in Boston and Houston this year but Houston lack a team and I can’t very well support the Stars.
Pick the Bruins. 😎

It can definitely be frustrating. All the runs last night were in the first innings with 8 more innings of very little happening.

Part of the beauty of the game for me. I love pitchers' duels and good fielding. Getting in and out of jams...although the days of yestseryear and the starting pitcher going 7+ innings seem to be rarer these days.

I honestly thought the Yankees were going to beat themselves again after the first inning - continuing from the night before - just too many basic errors.

Part of the beauty of the game for me. I love pitchers' duels and good fielding. Getting in and out of jams...although the days of yestseryear and the starting pitcher going 7+ innings seem to be rarer these days.

I honestly thought the Yankees were going to beat themselves again after the first inning - continuing from the night before - just too many basic errors.

Theres definitely excitement when you’re looking at bases loaded with two out just hoping that the pitcher is going to get it right.

I love it but first game attended was Chicago White Sox and continuing to follow them is nearly as bad as SAFC. They got beat by Anaheim in that first game so I should have known.

It can definitely be frustrating. All the runs last night were in the first innings with 8 more innings of very little happening.
Went to Chicago in August for 2 Cubs games - only home run was in the ninth of the second game! As you say, it can be frustrating, but to me it can be as exciting as a tight 0-0. It’s funny that the argument often raised for why football doesn’t take off here is that it can be low scoring and yet baseball can be just the same and lasts 3 hours or more

The Nationals came from the old Montreal Expos franchise which moved because they just didn't get the fan support. Canada is hockey country. The Expos though had one of the best farm systems in the game. Should have had a WS shot had the league decided not to strike that year.
First game I ever went to was an Expos game!

Also the fact the Blue Jays are worse than Sunderland anarl 😂

They were marvellous until the 1994 strike and then they just turned to shit. They even had one of the great modern day pitchers in Halliday and they wasted him. My taste in sports teams f***ing sucks.

Last edited:
Has anybody been following this in any detail? NFL has its own thread but baseball seems to be much maligned in the U.K.

The Houston Astros are on track to get to their second World Series (yeah yeah, World Series and it’s only the USA etc) in three years. They’re currently 3-1 against the Yankees with the winner playing the Washington Nationals.

The major downside is that MLB tends to be an evening game which means trying to watching it here involves getting up at midnight unless you’re lucky enough to see a 9pm(UK time) game.

99% of games are lunchtime mid afternoon starts here in New Zealand :) .... great if you are like me, one, like baseball and two are retired and not much else to do :)
99% of games are lunchtime mid afternoon starts here in New Zealand :) .... great if you are like me, one, like baseball and two are retired and not much else to do :)

* 3.20pm Sunday afternoon now. Top of 6th ;)

Last edited:
I'd go for Astros 4-3

Scherzer v Cole
Strasburg
v Verlander
Corbin v Peacock
Sanchez v Greinke

Astros need to then win one of the 2 games remaining at home (could be Cole in game 7)

There's not much difference in the bullpens

The Houston bats are a fair bit better than Washington

The 4 games that Houston have at home could be the difference.

Just watched the highlights as I couldn’t keep myself awake to watch it live.

Some fantastic fielding by the Astros with the double outs, then Altuve saving the day again at the bottom of the 9th.

Back