Barney Ronay on Phil Foden

Gomez looks good to be CB. Better than Maguire on his day.

Smalling has also had a good season at Roma and could be an option. Tomori could be in with a shout after another season under his belt.

TBH I would hope Maguire is nowhere near the starting XI if I’m honest

Yeah I dunno. Maguire needs to sort himself out certainly. As do our keepers, Pickford has all but lost that number one place this year, but has got lucky that there is nobody to replace him.

It’ll be an interesting season for sure, we have lots of young talent and need to pick a squad for the euros based on form and not “names”.

Henderson and Foden, plus one other, is looking to be a cracking centre midfield next summer. Obviously our attack is something else as well. It’s the defense and keeper that is going to let us down.

Chilwell, Maguire, ? (Stones?), Trent

Rice probably gives the best balance with those midfielders whilst also allowing full backs to attack.

You're right about the centre backs. Maguire, Stones and Gomez are the only obvious answers but all have flaws. I don't really believe in the likes of Keane or Mings. I would be interested to see Conor Coady given an opportunity though.

Pickford is not good enough as keeper either. I'd be tempted to get Henderson in there now.

Rice probably gives the best balance with those midfielders whilst also allowing full backs to attack.

You're right about the centre backs. Maguire, Stones and Gomez are the only obvious answers but all have flaws. I don't really believe in the likes of Keane or Mings. I would be interested to see Conor Coady given an opportunity though.

Pickford is not good enough as keeper either. I'd be tempted to get Henderson in there now.

Regarding the keeper situation, we’re lucky that because of covid we have another season to sort that one out now. I’m sure it’ll crystallize over the course of the season.

The positive we have with both Gomez and Stones is that they’re managed by the two best coaches in the world. If they’re ever going to develop it’ll be under them. Stones doesn’t play, but he’ll still be learning - he’ll hopefully get an opportunity next year to stake his claim. Gomez’s development will continue next season as well, he’ll be looking to shore up his starting position.

I think now 20/25 years on were really starting to see the benefits of having so much more in English football with the sheer amount of talent coming through at the moment. These young lads have grown up with the best of everything around them, including coaches after we finally decided to move on from old school British ones.

Last edited:
We have some great up and coming youngsters, but I think this lad is the midfield match winner that we 're desperate for. Our 2018 World Cup team is horrendous compared to what our 2022 team could be

We have some great up and coming youngsters, but I think this lad is the midfield match winner that we 're desperate for. Our 2018 World Cup team is horrendous compared to what our 2022 team could be

The Iceland game was the icing on our shitcake.

Back