Barn Door Tracker

Status
Not open for further replies.

I randomly got one the middle of last week?

A few days too early it seems. :lol:

Usual story, they can predict the flux of ions, but they can't predict the alignment of the planetary magnetic field. You need both to work in your favour to see owt this far south. The flux was up to Kp=6 'storm' a few times this week, but it was either in our daytime or the field was aligned north. Some cracking pics from the USA knocking around (yanks always seem to get the luck!).[DOUBLEPOST=1393106843][/DOUBLEPOST]
Still canny that though Smoke.

Thanks, though I had to process the nackers off it to show the glow, and already quite noisy @ISO1600. You really need a full frame camera for aurora hunting - one of these days...! Managed to catch my first moonbow which was a nice bonus:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dangerous_astro/12704825625/

Last edited:
Just a (very) faint glow on the northern horizon. Looked like light pollution or the moon is below that horizon and about to rise.

This far south that is the best you usually get. If it's really active you will see pillar structures develop. I've never seen colour from the UK though.

In Iceland on the other hand, I've seen green through clouds - it really is ten times better than owt you get here.[DOUBLEPOST=1393109791][/DOUBLEPOST]Here you go, Aurora through cloud in Iceland, 22/8/12. NB still only twilight as well.

Logon or register to see this image

Logon or register to see this image

[DOUBLEPOST=1393110099][/DOUBLEPOST]
Could you see anything with the naked eye, the glow I mean not doggers ;):lol::lol:

PS you don't get doggers at Derwent in winter, imagine the frostbite!

Last edited:
Tis on my bucket list Iceland. When I worked in Norway, even in the south, it never got dark in the summer months. I have a seascape photo somewhere with the sun well above the horizon at 11.30pm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back