Banksy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it is, but what's innovative is that she done it, and now still 20 years on people still talk about it and are outraged by it.
It's provocative and it was something from totally left field.
The fact she exhibited an unmade bed is art.

I saw either the bed or her tent (Everyone I Have Ever Slept With) at the Saatchi a good few years ago (or possibly both). More interesting in the flesh and in a gallery setting than just as an unmade bed or a tent with people's names in. Also saw a couple of Damian Hirst's dissection things.

Conceptually, I think I prefer Banksy.

No, it's shit.

All it does is give the pretentious chattering classes something to ponder over.

Forget the fact that it's an unmade bed, it could've been a sink full of dirty dishes or a trainer that's stepped in dogshite.
It's something totally mundane and everyday.
The arty creative thing she's done is to exhibit something nobody else has thought of exhibiting, and say it's art. It got people wound up and talking and it's still remembered 25 years later or so.

People would probably try and find meaning in the lines of the duvet the way it's folded or something. And they'd be pretentious dicks.

People who pretend to actually like this rubbish are idiots. I bet she was laughing her head off when it was taken seriously.

Have you seen that clip where some teenagers put a pair or glasses on the floor in a gallery and the people were stopping to have a looking trying to decipher meaning from it

Forget the fact that it's an unmade bed, it could've been a sink full of dirty dishes or a trainer that's stepped in dogshite.
It's something totally mundane and everyday.
The arty creative thing she's done is to exhibit something nobody else has thought of exhibiting, and say it's art. It got people wound up and talking and it's still remembered 25 years later or so.

People would probably try and find meaning in the lines of the duvet the way it's folded or something. And they'd be pretentious dicks.

People who pretend to actually like this rubbish are idiots. I bet she was laughing her head off when it was taken seriously.

Have you seen that clip where some teenagers put a pair or glasses on the floor in a gallery and the people were stopping to have a looking trying to decipher meaning from it

If they know exactly what they're doing and are sticking one up the Malcolms and Cressidas of this world then fine, but I've came across a few of these artistic types before and they take themselves very seriously.

I freely admit to being a complete philistine when it comes to art.

I didnt realise Banksy was still going, all a bit 2010 isnt it?

If they know exactly what they're doing and are sticking one up the Malcolms and Cressidas of this world then fine, but I've came across a few of these artistic types before and they take themselves very seriously.

I freely admit to being a complete philistine when it comes to art.

I think it's one big circle jerk.

If I exhibited a blue carrier bag full of special brew and some yellow stained underpants, some idiot would think it was a deep reaching social commentary on the evils of alcoholism, when in fact it's just the result of a quiet night in

I have. There are also examples of visitors not realising an exhibit is an exhibit and moving it, aren't there? (I can't remember specifics)

If I exhibited a blue carrier bag full of special brew and some yellow stained underpants, some idiot would think it was a deep reaching social commentary on the evils of alcoholism, when in fact it's just the result of a quiet night in

Having said that, if enough people told me I was good, I'd probably enjoy that and go along with it and come up with things like puke in a gutted next to a tray of kebab meat

I have. There are also examples of visitors not realising an exhibit is an exhibit and moving it, aren't there? (I can't remember specifics)

I remember laughing in the MoMA at a penis hanging from the ceiling. Some artist had made a plaster cast of her husbands little acorn and decided to paint it so it looked like a piece of ginger and dangle it off the roof. Joke is on who?

Last edited:

I'm very much a fan of technical ability and skill over hidden meaning and nuance.

I'll always be more impressed by a canvas oil or a fresco than a blue square with a white line running down the middle, or whatever it was that sold for umpteen millions. I know the argument is "Well they thought to do it when no-one else did" but in terms of actual artistic skill, anyone without a debilitating muscle or brain disease could have painted that. Whereas only a few people could have the talent to paint the detail of the Cistine Chapel or the Lady of Shallott.

Because it's shit.

And one of the most famous pieces and will be remembered and discussed forever. It's a shame you only have good ideas cos a shit one will earn you a fortune.

The bloke my mam used to see is a millionaire through art. He sold two pipes that were welded together (one black, one white) and called it Diana Ross for 33k. He also took a chess board, and replaced the pieces with small marbles, writing the name of each piece on the marbles instead. That went for over 220k.

Last edited:
And one of the most famous pieces and will be remembered and discussed forever. It's a shame you only have good ideas cos a shit one will earn you a fortune.

The bloke my mam used to see is a millionaire through art. He sold two pipes that were welded together (one black, one white) and called it Diana Ross for 33k. He also took a chess board, and replaced the pieces with small marbles, writing the name of each piece on the marbles instead. That went for over 220k.

Don't get me wrong, if people can make a fortune flogging shite to idiots then they should crack on, fair play.

But that doesn't change the fact that an unmade bed is a shit bit of art.

How do you get into the arena of actually being able to move that stuff at that price though?

I'm very much a fan of technical ability and skill over hidden meaning and nuance.

I'll always be more impressed by a canvas oil or a fresco than a blue square with a white line running down the middle, or whatever it was that sold for umpteen millions. I know the argument is "Well they thought to do it when no-one else did" but in terms of actual artistic skill, anyone without a debilitating muscle or brain disease could have painted that. Whereas only a few people could have the talent to paint the detail of the Cistine Chapel or the Lady of Shallott.

Thing is, almost every artist who has an exhibition will have been very good technically through school, college, university etc. It's not like the person who just drew a ragged line down the middle of a canvas doesn't have good technical skills.

How do you get into the arena of actually being able to move that stuff at that price though?

He met a bloke who was just starting out looking to feature artists works in portfolios and arts events. I guess once you start getting noticed you get more exposure and invited to display your work at more high profile places and it snowballs. A lot of it will be right place, right time I'd imagine.

Last edited:
Thing is, almost every artist who has an exhibition will have been very good technically through school, college, university etc. It's not like the person who just drew a ragged line down the middle of a canvas doesn't have good technical skills.

He met a bloke who was just starting out looking to feature artists works in portfolios and arts events.

Well done to him.
Was it auctioned or just listed at that price?

Don't get me wrong, if people can make a fortune flogging shite to idiots then they should crack on, fair play.

But that doesn't change the fact that an unmade bed is a shit bit of art.

I agree. It doesn't appeal to me either. But some art is shite on the eye but the thought process behind it is the talent.

Plenty of graffiti is absolutely superb - especially if there is a meaning behind it.

Not really. Anyone can and has thought of drawing a cock and balls. No one had thought of the bed idea. Thats the mistake many make, simply look at something and think "i couldve done that" but they wouldnt, as they wouldnt have had the thought/inspiration to do it.

There's some tosh in the Tate Modern mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back