Bank scam

I don't answer numbers I don't recognise, so sorry old mate if you've been trying to get in touch.
In fact there is many a time I don't even answer people whose number I do recognise because I don't like the fact that we have got to a point where everybody is supposed to be available to everybody else 24/7. No thanks. I have a private life, and I am 'connected' to hundreds of friends and neighbours, WHEN I WANT TO BE! There is a generation coming up who insist they are 'connected', but are ignorant of the world happening right before their eyes, because they are connected to the small tracking device in their hand, which they can barely take their eyes off.
My Dad wouldn't have a phone in the house because he said if anybody wanted to talk to him they should come round his house. I'm not that extreme, and have had a mobile since 1988, but I I think I use it well and I'm unlikely to be scammed by these wasters.

Daughter got one. The phone number was the same as Barclays? Which she has saved on phone. Said her card (new one which didn’t arrive) had been used in a fashion shop for £300. And asked for her for account details. She rang Barclays who new nothing about it. Be very careful. Speak to no one. Not even the bank. (Their words)

The beauty with Barclays is it doesn't matter if you spend a penny or a pound you'll get a notification on your phone to tell you

Was it Barclays number? Daughters was.

what happened to daughter. Well they rang her and it was Barclays number.

They said it was Barclaycard and both calls came through on a withheld number.
It was obviously bollocks as there’s been no suspicious activity on my account

They said it was Barclaycard and both calls came through on a withheld number.
It was obviously bollocks as there’s been no suspicious activity on my account

To be fair there could well have been attempted payments that you won’t be able to see yourself on the app, if they were declined upon attempt, by the bank. You should have received a text with the payments in though asking you to confirm.

If there’s nothing pending on the account and you really don’t wanna answer any calls or ring them yourselves, I’d suggest lost and stolen the card yourself in the app, this will send you a new one in the post and ensuring if it has been compromised it can’t be used going forward.

Some months ago my father called me to ask if I'd sent him a parcel as he'd got a text from DHL asking for personal and delivery details and he couldn't remember ordering anything himself. I hadn't so we reckoned it was a scam and he ignored it. And months later here I am in Sweden getting similar texts from 'DHL', so the scam is spreading. And a clever one too as so many buy stuff online now.

To be fair there could well have been attempted payments that you won’t be able to see yourself on the app, if they were declined upon attempt, by the bank. You should have received a text with the payments in though asking you to confirm.

If there’s nothing pending on the account and you really don’t wanna answer any calls or ring them yourselves, I’d suggest lost and stolen the card yourself in the app, this will send you a new one in the post and ensuring if it has been compromised it can’t be used going forward.

Yeah, I’ve got notifications on all my accounts which let me know as soon as any transactions hit.
It’s a good way of keeping an eye out.

I only had a small balance on the Barclaycard anyway so I’ve paid it off and asked them to close the account.
I hardly use it, so it removes the hassle in future 👍

Last edited:
This feels impossible?

Are you saying she rang her bank on a genuine bank number and they intercepted the call?
Apparently there is some new software available to use so you can trick the person to believe it's an official phone bank number. Was discussed and demonstrated in the RIP OFF BRITAIN programme last week on BBC. Might be available on go back .Scarey but true.

Apparently there is some new software available to use so you can trick the person to believe it's an official phone bank number. Was discussed and demonstrated in the RIP OFF BRITAIN programme last week on BBC. Might be available on go back .Scarey but true.
Just found the episode on I-PLAYER. RIP OFF BRITAIN. series 13 ,episode 16. 11th OCTOBER.

Got a call a while back asking me to log on the computer and they'd talk me through what I had to do.
Spent half an hour pretending I wasn't very with computers and asking them to be patient. The bloke was getting more and more irate, I eventually told him I was taking the piss out if him and I'd wasted half an hour of his time.

Just found the episode on I-PLAYER. RIP OFF BRITAIN. series 13 ,episode 16. 11th OCTOBER.
Think I watched that one, some scammers were shown going on shopping sprees and they'd been opening credit card accounts etc. Think they got traced and raised, one of them sprayed chemicals in a coppers face.
I don't think the scumbags got that long in jail either tbh.

Think I watched that one, some scammers were shown going on shopping sprees and they'd been opening credit card accounts etc. Think they got traced and raised, one of them sprayed chemicals in a coppers face.
I don't think the scumbags got that long in jail either tbh.
Not the same one.Check it out.
It can happen where it comes up with the name Barclays but it’s not actually Barclays number.
Yes it can be,new software now available to trick people. FACT.

Last edited:
A the beginning of the year I thought I had a scam call and told them to piss off in a long "piss offffffFFFFFFFF" and hung up. They rang back about 15 minutes later and I still feel really guilty that I told a nurse to piss off

Back