Bands with songs that don't seem like them?

Of course music moved on and people moved with it. The Clash also moved a long way from the original 2 minute punk template so I'm not sure why you seem to think the only people who were still listening to them were punks.
Mmm
You've read that a bit wrong
I said they lost a lot of people
People like me and punks who refused to move on.

Mmm
You've read that a bit wrong
I said they lost a lot of people
People like me and punks who refused to move on.
Ah, ok, see what you mean now, although their sales would suggest that plenty of people went with them as they broadened their horizons and a significant number of new people probably found their later stuff more accessible (although Sandinista was probably a step too far). The first album was probably the only real 'punk' album.

Went through a few too many costume changes for me compared to the Meninblack
Ah, ok, see what you mean now, although their sales would suggest that plenty of people went with them as they broadened their horizons and a significant number of new people probably found their later stuff more accessible (although Sandinista was probably a step too far). The first album was probably the only real 'punk' album.

Rock the Casbah by The Clash.

Probably their joint most famous song, sounds nowt like anything else.
That’s coz it was written by the drummer not Strummer/Jones, who happened to be a decent piano player!

I agree. First time i heard that tune I thought it was the B52s

Precious by The Jam with all those horns and brass arrangements. I liked it though.

I love ‘Precious’ cos I love the funk but Weller had been on a bit of a trajectory towards soul/funk music (this was a direct ripoff of ‘Pigbag’) so it wasn’t so much of a stand out to me as English Rose. They started out playing 2.5 minute r and b at 100 miles an hour, developed into more thoughtful but still aggressive pop and he comes out with that drippy folky love song to his bird. Weller was so embarrassed by it it’s not on the track list for All Mod Cons, although it’s not a million miles from ‘Fly’ anarl.

Last edited:

Back